• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Modified T5 bell housing for mechanical clutch setup - pics ahoy!!

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
What else did I do today?

Installed the fulcrum bracket and spacer block in Shag's T5 bell housing. Because the T5 bell housing is a little longer than stock the fulcrum bracket needs to be move forward by the difference. Yes the fulcrum bracket you see is a 65/66. Though I have a 67+ fulcrum bracket available to use, the clutch fork and bellhousing that came out of Shag was a 65? WTF? And being that the fulcrum clip is 1/4th the cost of a clutch fork, I just got another 65/66 bracket. I can always swap to a 67/68 for the dimensions are the same. Only difference is how clutch fork is afixed to the bracket.

Anyhoo....for proper location of the spacer block I attached the throwout bearing, fork assembly to the snout of the tranny. Fastened the fulcrum/spacer block to the fork and it naturally told me where to mark the bell housing for drilling.

Once established, up onto the drill press went the bell housing and did another test assembly afterwards. WhooLah!!!

4_12_07_10_6_27_47_0.JPG

4_12_07_10_6_27_47_1.JPG

4_12_07_10_6_27_47_2.JPG

4_12_07_10_6_27_48_4.JPG

4_12_07_10_6_28_42_0.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only test fitting at this point. As you can see there's no lock washers or nylon locknuts. In good time.....

Real clean work Craig. Thanks for documenting the progress with pictures. This is a fairly common mod and the pictures will surely help the next guy!

Nice work! Is that a kit or something you made yourself? I picked up a T5 for my 65. I was planning on using an adapter plate on the stock bell housing but this looks like a good option.

Ryan, it is a fulcrum kit whis many sell for around $50 which includes the spacer block, fulcrum bracket & fasteners. Yes one could make the spacer if you want to spend the time, but I was lazy.

"pprince" said:
Don't forget the anti-rattle spring Craig.

As soon as I can find a way to hold my dentures in without rattling, I will then put that spring back in the tranny.

:craz

"cmayna" said:
It's only test fitting at this point. As you can see there's no lock washers or nylon locknuts. In good time.....

I wouldn't use nylon insert locknuts unless you can verify the temps seen in your bellhousing. I'd use a high temp red Loctite.

That was wierd. I just accidentally modified your post Shaun instead of quoting it. My oops. Sorry.

No I have no plans to nylon lock nuts and yes I do have red loctite.

Is there a benefit to using the T5 housing with fulcrum kit vs. using an original housing with adapter plate for the T5? I have both housings, just haven't got to this stage yet.

If you have both bells then it's really just a financial decision. The cost of the adapter vs cost of the fulcrum spacer kit and the time spent modifying the T5 bell.

Shag came with a 164t bell setup so I had no correct size bell to start with, so I bought the T5 for $50 and went from there.

Back