• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Monte Carlo Bar or TCP Brace

hivewax

i really like the TCP engine brace setup, but it's expensive. it can be detached pretty easy to get access to the engine, which is nice, but i would have to remove the existing export brace. should i just keep it simple with the Monte Carlo bar?? i would have to get the curved one as the MSD e-curve distributor sits higher than stock.

It really depends on how often you need to remove the engine. I went with the normal curved bar as I hope to not need an engine removal each week......... I do find the bar is nice to use as a brace when reaching for things.

I had a TCP brace and to be honest, it looks really small in person. The setup I used, Maier racing's braces just seemed so much beefier. There are several vendors for the TCP type setup, I believe Shaun at Street or Track has a version. He did just send out an e-mail about 10% off too.....

I'd ditch the tall dizzy and put one of these in....

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Quick-Release-Shock-Tower-Brace-pr-23524.html
qrstb-mounted2.jpg

qrstb-mounted3.jpg

qrstb-mounted.jpg

qrstb-polished-tube.jpg

qrstb-brushed-tube.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the MSD e-curve i have would hit the Street or Track bar.

EDIT: i'm not ditching this new dizzy, unless there's something better.

If you want bling, go for it. If you want to stiffen up the chassis and save some coin, the std export brace and MC bar are fine, IMHO.

and to remove my engine, I just take out the MC bar, just a few bolts and it's out. The export brace does not need to be removed to R&R the engine.

"silverblueBP" said:
The export brace does not need to be removed to R&R the engine.

:wstup This is true, i had mine on the car when i dropped my motor in. And it wasnt even close to being in the way :cool.

Another thing... I don't have a 1-piece export brace. I have the 2-piece version. You all think this 2-piece is worth keeping. Is it as sturdy as the 1-piece?

if i were you i'd swap it out for the one piece. Thats what i did, and i think it was a good decision. To me it seams stiffer this way then with the two piece.

Not to be a party pooper, but......IMO, stuff like a vario centric kit and 1pc export brace, panhard bar are not going to gain you much.....on the street. The 2 pc export brace and a MC bar would suffice for the street. There's a big, gigantic, huge difference on how hard you can drive a car on the street versus what you would do on a track. If I didn't take my car to the track, those items and a few others would not have been done. Again, that's just my opinion...which means squat.

Oh yeah, it's your car and your money no matter WHAT I say :nice

i bought the cheapo $20 curved Monte Carlo bar manufactured from Classic Reproductions thru CJ Pony... it seemed pretty light. are the Scott Drake ones better/stronger?

The one I have (straight) is pretty light, but still works. It probably came from Mustangs U or Mustangs+

I just was wondering...how much does the curve monte carlo bar actually stiffen up the front end. That curve seems like that is a "weak" spot and have some spring to it.

"hivewax" said:
I haven't heard any complaints or seen any curved ones crack or break. Anyone?

IMO its a waste of time installing a curved bar to brace something. You don't see any curved roll bars without some sort of bracing right?

If I had a tall distributor and couldn't run the straight bar right across the top I'd make something like this:

CIMG0155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about to install the curved Monte Carlo cheap bar and like to know if the measurement is correct from end-to-end of the tube before install. I measured ~40.5". Am I good? ... can't trust these Chinese made parts these days...

I just measured my stainless one that has yet to be installed and it is also 40.5" measured at the top (since the mounting plate is sloped). I'm curious if other's measure the same though, because my engine bay measured about 39.75" or so. This is either due to the towers sagging or the bar is too long.

As far as the straight vs curved bar, the curved bar will be weaker but it isn't exactly a flimsy bar. I just used my 200lb weight to try to get it to flex and it wouldn't budge. I don't know what kind of forces these bars see, though.

Hive, I noticed you are a structural engineer too. I'm a registered PE and SE in Illinois.

Back