• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

More engine (component) damage found now...

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
Was buttoning everything back up today, finished degreeing the cam - installed th fuel pump eccentric and went to torque the cam bolt and it never would hit torque spec but kept turning....

26_12_07_09_1_21_48_0.JPG

26_12_07_09_1_21_48_3.JPG

26_12_07_09_1_21_48_1.JPG

26_12_07_09_1_21_48_2.JPG

So if you were EVER thinking or using a gear drive set. Run away, run the fug away...

So now I have to buy a replacement cam...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised that you didn't find that on tear down. Good thing you found it today and not next week, on the road.....

You want my old cam and solid lifters :voodoo

Damn man, really sorry to hear that! What did you end up doing for heads?

J,
Isn't your backside a little sore by now with all the whoopin' you car's been giving you? But I agree with others that it is better to find this issue than when you're halfway out during your trip to Calif to see the elite.

Note to self, dont piss off Jeremy, any dude that can snap a cam a bad mofo........ :yikes

Sorry to hear that dude. Trust me when I say I feel your frustrations....

Thats nasty what gear drive was in your car? i have one in my 69 mach 1 fitted by previous owner i think i will change it for double roller chain.javed

Looks like the eccentric bolt was really long enough to go into the meat of the cam, but was pretty much just in the button and probably got stressed when the gear drive went kablooey.

That's a bummer. Are you running flat tappet lifters? That looks like a cast crank.

The bolt is not threaded all of the way in. I am holding it a good inch or so with vice grips on the opposite side. And yes, flat tappet hydraulic cam/lifters.

So now I have to buy a replacement cam...

Is it a Comp Cams product? If so, call them directly to report the failure of their product. It's possible that their metals lab may want to get a look at your broke cam and they could send you out a new one.

Last month a buddy of mine here wiped out a couple lobes after a cam swap, called Comp Cams and the sent him a replacement.

It never hurts to ask.

"70_Fastback" said:
The bolt is not threaded all of the way in. I am holding it a good inch or so with vice grips on the opposite side.

LOL

OK, I feel better, as it looked like your bolt was way too short in the picture.

A steel crank may have survived that, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the cast crank snapped like that with the pounding it would have taken when the gear drive grenaded.

I got the exact same cam and they gave it to me at their cost - which was great of them. It was out of warranty because I bought parts here and there, way before I ever built the engine.

Back