• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

More history channel information about the civil war----

Flysure1

I watch the history channel often and heard a interesting statement this morning, they said that the command of the union army was first offered to Robert E. Lee!
He turned it down to lead the south because he wanted to represent his home state of I believe Virginia?--I truly believe todays youth could learn more than we were taught about history by watching the history channel. Imagine how close we possibly were to a completely different outcome in the civil war.--Oh yeah, the government took his home away from him ----his wife owned Arlington house and it was turned into the Arlington cemetery--the government supposedly did this to try to make sure Lee would never want to return,

I believe he later brought suit and was compensated--shouldn't have been. He received a college education at the expense of the United States, was paid a livelihood for 32 years by the United States, swore an oath to faithfully to defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and then dishonored himself by committing treason.

"Jack1966" said:
I believe he later brought suit and was compensated--shouldn't have been. He received a college education at the expense of the United States, was paid a livelihood for 32 years by the United States, swore an oath to faithfully to defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and then dishonored himself by committing treason.
Why don't ya' just say something bad about his Mama while your at it Jack (Ass)

"Jack1966" said:

Actually the suit was brought by his heirs as he passed in 1870. The Supreme court ruled in their favor as the land was improperly obtained.

"sgtjunior" said:
Actually the suit was brought by his heirs as he passed in 1870. The Supreme court ruled in their favor as the land was improperly obtained.
His heirs did win the law suit (they was represented by Lincolns son Todd) and the Government then bought the estate back for $150.000.

Wait...the history channel has shows on that actually have something to do with history? Who knew... :shrug

"Jack1966" said:

Sounds like todays members of congess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. That makes me special!

Back