• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

More wiring identification help

Kate
Because you have new wiring , I should go for a 66 rebuilt alternator and an ELECTRONIC voltage regulator.
This way you don't have to cut up your new wiring.And you can have your wiring diagram as a guideline in the future.
Its easier to check if everything is right under the hood.
The alternator you have right now is a GM one.STANGG explained its setup very well.
But if you go this route , you have to modify the rest of the wiring.
If I remember correct you have to repaire you ammeter in the instrument cluster , so your battery will charge.
Midlife can confirm this.

How do you know your ammeter doesn't work? You just installed a new dash cluster from Johnpro, and haven't started the engine with the new wiring in place, right?

How do you know your ammeter doesn't work?

I know it doesn't work because when I bought it, AzPete told me it didn't work.

You just installed a new dash cluster from Johnpro, and haven't started the engine with the new wiring in place, right?

You are correct. I haven't tried starting it.

Ok now ya'll are just starting to confuse me even more. LOL

If I change it over to the correct alternator for a '66 and ditch the GM one, do I have to be concerned about the belt setup - which direction it turns? Or does it all turn one direction regardless what you have? :shrug

No intent to confuse besides I didn't think you were a blond. Doesn't matter to the alternator which way it spins. If your intent for upgrades are as previously stated I would go for the 3G now and not have to redo it later. The link I provided has the VR that has been modified, 1 crimp connection to the original harness and a heavy gauge wire from the output of the alternator to the battery with a CB or mega fuse in series.
Hope this is of some help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I won't be putting in any upgrades for a while. The main goal is just to get it running and driving again and if changing the GM to a correct one will be less of a hassle to deal with to get it back up and running, them I'm up for swapping. Plus is like less than $40 which I can afford. :roll

That's my grllll! Good choice!

I hope you bought a voltage regulator as well.

Now then...I see from your early pictures that you're using a serpentine belt, and not a V-belt. Is that still true? The alternator you bought probably has a pulley for the v-belt. I believe you should be able to have the two pulleys exchanged...

"Midlife" said:
I believe you should be able to have the two pulleys exchanged...

Piece of cake...just use an impact wrench to zip off the nut and swap pulleys. Once you get the nut off the pulley should just come right off...no pulley puller required.

There could be a difference in the alternator fan based on the direction the alt. was originally designed to run.

I do not remember if the amp gauge on that cluster did not work (did we check it Mid?) or if it was just because it was not hooked up so I would not have seen it function. The car had a 1 wire I believe so it would not have been hooked into the system....but the memory is getting old.........

"AzPete" said:
There could be a difference in the alternator fan based on the direction the alt. was originally designed to run.

Serpentine or v-belt the alternator turns the same direction. So, you can switch them back no problems.

"AzPete" said:

I do not remember if the amp gauge on that cluster did not work (did we check it Mid?) or if it was just because it was not hooked up so I would not have seen it function. The car had a 1 wire I believe so it would not have been hooked into the system....but the memory is getting old.........

Luke:
I vaguely remember checking it with a D-cell, but I could be wrong...there's so many dash clusters that you brought over and I can't even remember your name.

Back