• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Motor Trend SS vs Shelby

Re: Motor Trend SS vs GT

Not me. I'd take a plain jane GT over the SS. While the Camaro looks good and has a great engine, the interior and fit/finish is terrible. The Mustang interior is amazing, and I love the new exterior styling too. To each his own, I guess.

What is interesting is I have been a big fan of the Camaro, until I saw one driving on the highway a couple of weeks ago. While the car looks great in the photographs and on paper, there is something just not right about the way it looks in person. All of the lines are too pronounced, almost like the car is fake or a joke.

Maybe it'll grow on my, but when I saw one in person I was nowhere near as impressed as when I see photographs.

You gotta love them sticking 426hp into the SS.

I'd take the Mustang for looks but the article sure points out the Mustang's achilles heel--it needs more cubic inches.

I'd still take a GT over the new SS. When I saw a new Camaro in person it looked absolutely hideous, it looks too much like a concept car to me, not to mention the loads of problems owners have been having with them (but I suppose that's to be had with any first year production car).

Oh I agree on both counts. The Camaro is cartoonish, I haven't seen the interior to compare and the Mustang needs more CI but we're comparing a Shelby vs a SS here because of the lack of GT power and for that kind of money for what you get I’ll take the Camaro. Stock versus aftermarket mark-up I’ll take stock for the price.

"KBMWRS" said:
Oh I agree on both counts. The Camaro is cartoonish, I haven't seen the interior to compare and the Mustang needs more CI but we're comparing a Shelby vs a SS here because of the lack of GT power and for that kind of money for what you get I’ll take the Camaro. Stock versus aftermarket mark-up I’ll take stock for the price.

Thank you. I have not been able to come up with the right words for the way I felt the Camaro looked, but I think you nailed it with that one.

It's just so strange to me, because in pictures I think it looks so cool. But in person: Cartoonish.

Oh well, at the very least the influx of pony cars to the market should bump up the Mustangs quality, now that it has some competition again. Everyone wins :)

"Meyer65" said:
What is interesting is I have been a big fan of the Camaro, until I saw one driving on the highway a couple of weeks ago. While the car looks great in the photographs and on paper, there is something just not right about the way it looks in person. All of the lines are too pronounced, almost like the car is fake or a joke.

Maybe it'll grow on my, but when I saw one in person I was nowhere near as impressed as when I see photographs.

You gotta love them sticking 426hp into the SS.

Agreed.

I saw one up close and personal last saturday night and there is something odd and bloated about the whole thing.

I have a customer up in Canada near Toronto where they build the Camaro and I've seen a few running around there for a while, probably debuggin them. But anyway, I thought the same thing, "Cartoonish". The Challenger got it right for sure. I saw the 2010 Stangs back in April at the 45th and just don't quite like them as much as the 05-09's. Yet...

I was at a shop the other day that had a new Camaro which I checked out. Honestly, it looks like something the Joker should be driving in the next Batman movie. It's too wide, the beltline is too high, the proportions are way off, it looks like the bastardized offspring between a newer Corvette and an old Camaro. The interior looked good though.

The new Camaro:
who%20framed%20roger%20rabbit.jpg

:dumas

I agree on not liking the 2010 as much as the previous model. The first time I saw one I was excited "oh, they finally refreshed the design" and then after about a week I start thinking "they bastardized it."

To be honest though the 95-98 Mustang, especially the later ones, are in my opinion the best looking Mustangs made since 1970. I'm sure I am probably alone on this one but I love them.

As a 4th gen Camaro owner, I think that Chevy actually retrogressed in styling on the 5th gen car. My 2000 Z28 has much cleaner lines than the 2010 car. The Camaro kicks ass in the rear seat room arena. There aint no rear seat leg room in a Mustang with the seat all the way back. The Camaro still has about an ankle width of space. With regard to that stupid Motor Trend article comparing the Shelby GT-500 to the Camaro SS, who would have guessed that 540 blown horses would clobber 426 normally aspirated horses. Gee Mr. Wizzard! And that on the heels of an article where they ran the Camaro SS against a Mustang GT. Who would have guessed that a 426 hp pony car would clobber a 315 hp pony car. That's why I stopped subscribing to automobile magazines. What a bunch of tools.

I drove a V6 model of the new Camaro a couple of months back. It was rated at 300 hp. My Z28 was rated at 305 hp by the GM folks. There is absolutely no comparison. The 300 hp V6 performs like a V6. No low end grunt and only respectable acceleration. The dealer was claiming that the car would run 14.70s in the quarter mile. My stock automatic Z28 has run 13.44. I guess that they are using 300 Shetland ponies for that V6. If they are using the same type of measurement for the 426 hp in the SS, then you aren't going to see that great a difference in performance from the 4th gen cars. My "305" hp car pulled 318 rwhp on a chassis dyno. That equates to about 375 fwhp using a 15% drive train loss. It appears that Chevy doesn't have the same motivation to lie about the SSs horsepower ratings. At least not in the same direction. I'd be interested to see some dyno numbers for the SS.

Final comment is that I'd like to see a factory supercharged SS vs. a Shelby GT-500 result. Might be a little more equal. And I think the best looking pony cars are the 2005-2009 Mustangs. The 2010 looks too pinched in the rear. The Camaro does look sort of cartoonish, but that might just be the Transformers connection. The Challenger looks like a boat in person. I've seen them at car shows and on the street and they just look flat BIG.

Back