• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustang carnage.........

I knew it was only a matter of time before I broke something on my car........well, I ran home at lunch on Thursday and was about 2 blocks from the house when I felt something that didnt seem quite right.... I pushed the clutch MC through the firewall. :wtf I dont think I'll be able to fix this with :gs

When I got the car from my dad the car had sat for YEARS, damn near 25. The brake MC had leaked down the firewall. When the car was media blasted it didnt look that bad. The clutch had always been fairly stiff, but I was not expecting this at all........

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 238
Looks like more than the average evening repair. How much sheet metal do you have top replace?

ouch! What M/C setup is that? Whats the plan of attack, sandwich with a plate on either side?

"RyanG85" said:
ouch! What M/C setup is that? Whats the plan of attack, sandwich with a plate on either side?

I have the Mcleod Hyd TO setup, I swapped the Wilwood MC for the CNC unit. My thought is to sandwhich plates on both sides. Originally thought about a cable setup, but think I will try the sandwich plan first.

Just powershift without the clutch and you will be fine. :thu You don't need no stinking clutch. Them are for woosies............

That blows!

I'm going to have to keep an eye on mine. Maybe a bracket that bolt behind the brake booster with a couple of gussets might be in order.

Metal weakness .The firewall is too thin to withstand the force aplied to.
From the beginning it had to be reinforced with a thicker plate.
I would say , do some reinforcements and keep the hydraulic setup.Its simply the best IMO although I have the cable setup but thats due to lack of finance overhere :roll :roll

I thought everyone knew that was a possibility when doing that setup. Here is what I did to mine when I did my conversion. This is only on the inside of the firewall. I hope I'm not jinxing myself.

I am sorry to see that. I hope you can repair that and make it look good for such an awesome car.

Attachments

• 4087.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 168
"Mustang Mike" said:
I thought everyone knew that was a possibility when doing that setup. Here is what I did to mine when I did my conversion. This is only on the inside of the firewall. I hope I'm not jinxing myself.

I am sorry to see that. I hope you can repair that and make it look good for such an awesome car.

That's similar to mine. Reinforced on the inside and right next to a stamped recess in the firewall. It's dead nuts straight too. No side load or up/down load. I just looked at it will I was pulling out the parking brake to weld the release lever back on and it's fine. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

"Fast68back" said:
I could always go automatic...how boring would that be......

You could be like J!!

Sorry to hear the news, but sounds like a fairly easy fix.

Wow - In all my years of working with cars and trucks, I've never seen that happen! Just slap some JB wield on it, it will be fine... ;)

"70_Fastback" said:
Rick, send me some dimensions & I can cut you some reinforcing plates and mail'em to you.

but you can't mail me anything :rant

Back