• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My first Boston Butt

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
yhusydyn.jpg

de2yqyva.jpg

qetu8ybu.jpg

majy5age.jpg

3e9a7e9y.jpg

Details:

1. Rubbed the 5# Boston Butt on Valentine's eve :thum with a home recipe rub and yellow mustard

2. Next day, cranked up the propane smoker to 350*

3. Placed butt in smoker on 2nd shelf with foil drip pan on 3rd.

4. Installed Mr. AMNPS under the burner in it's custom drilled out cage with Hickory Pellets

5. Started to reduce heat slowly to 250ish*

3. Every hour, spritz the butt :hide with a mixture of 3/1 apple juice & Meyer's Rum.

4. 3.5 hours later, inserted the Maverick's probe and got an IT of 147*

5. Raised temp to 280* for the next couple hours til IT came to 165*

6. Put the butt into a foil pan and double wrapped in foil after I poured some extra apple juice along with the spritzer mix above into the pan.

7. Back into the smoker for another couple hours til IT came to 205*

8. Off to the ice cooler double wrapped in some old towels until 6pm.

9. Then came all the belches from the family

6 hours in the smoker + 2 hours in the cooler. :thum

Tapayakin' from my iphone

Sorry, I just added details, above. Yes yellow mustard and then rub the night before.

Looks great Craig. You can do pork butt without mustard but pork and mustard go hand and hand. I rub it in then apply the rub then smoke. I'm waiting for parts still for mine but breaking it in with a butt sounds great. How was the sauce?

Daughter damn near drank the whole bottle. After I finish smoking some Salmon, going to take some of the butt to my local butcher. Another good sauce is to salvage the apple juice and drippings from the drip pan. Pour all of it into a container, refrig overnight and then separate and toss the solidified topping, keeping the yummy stuff. Heat it up for a wonderful leftover dipping sauce.

ameve8e2.jpg

I use the juice and drippings for rib glaze. It's already got brown sugar in it from the ribs. Makes a nice bark.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back