• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My instrument panel

Dne'

I thought I'd go ahead and clean up my instrument panel. I bought red LED lights from Mustang Project and the white background from another vendor on ebay. The new bezel is from Johnsmustang(here in Houston),but available from any Mustang vendor. Of course the instrument dash/panel had to be pretty much disassembled, and the blue covers that cover the old filament bulbs were removed which are held in place by 1/4" screws to allow a much brighter light. I connected the dash to a 12 volt source and the red lights really illuminate, especially on the white! I haven't seen a write-up on this, so I thought it might be worth mentioning to ya'll. :pep It will be a while before this is actually installed in the car. :(
IMG_7885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
photo of illumination

I tried! I just can't get a good photo of what it really looks like with the house lights dimmed. The LED's look much better in person! At least gives you an idea of how they look.

IMG_7957.jpg

IMG_7959.jpg

Our cars are so much a like it's spooky!
I did a similar thing in 2005. I don't have LED bulbs but I went with the red/orange bulb covers. I also painted the rings that go around the lens on the bezal. Your's looks great and much brighter. I think I'm going to switch to the LED bulbs.
72_08_03_09_2_00_45.jpg

72_12_03_09_5_31_03.jpg

yes, spooky!

We must think alike you and I! :pep I still have some things to do to my panel, I may just do what you did and paint the inner portion like you did. That really looks great! The white panels really brighten up a drab dash don't they! I was a little reluctant at first worrying about how well they may or maynot stick, but I believe they are on there for good! The Texasaxeman, a new member that I coaxed to sign on, came over to my home to use my cabinet blaster(he only lives like 5 miles from me!), I showed him too and he may do it to his 66, that is if they make it for his year. It was really nice to have a fellow Mustang enthusiast come over~ he's a great guy!
Have a great day!
dne'

Re: yes, spooky!

"Sportbikechick" said:
We must think alike you and I! :pep I still have some things to do to my panel, I may just do what you did and paint the inner portion like you did. That really looks great! The white panels really brighten up a drab dash don't they! I was a little reluctant at first worrying about how well they may or maynot stick, but I believe they are on there for good! The Texasaxeman, a new member that I coaxed to sign on, came over to my home to use my cabinet blaster(he only lives like 5 miles from me!), I showed him too and he may do it to his 66, that is if they make it for his year. It was really nice to have a fellow Mustang enthusiast come over~ he's a great guy!
Have a great day!
dne'

You rentin out that blaster?

C'mon, Dne...admit the truth. The real reason why everything looks so bright is because of the reconditioned harness you have! *G* :toot

Of course it's wiring harness Midlife! :naug I'm trying to get Texasaxeman to send you his wiring harness! He bought that generic wiring harness(forget the man right now). Actually, I think he said he was going to contact you, yeah sure!

Now Sluggo~ those blasting cabinets are only like 200 bucks from harborfreight! ( :bowHarborfreighttools! :bow), of course then you have to have a fairly decent compressor, then a vacuum system! gets a little pricey! :rofl I have to say, that's one of the coolest tools I own! I guess it's a tool? I mean it's not like a ratchet :doh I need about a dozen 1/2" deep and shallow sockets~ they just fricking dissappear!

I've been babysitting my granddaughter all day, kind of wooped! I love her but she wears me out!

Back