• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My new Griffin radiator questions

"Dne'" said:
Thank you for the compliment! BTW, where did you get the neat adjuster for your alternator? That looks much better than trying to adjust the belt tension with a large scewdriver!
Its the March Performance Bracket and pulley Kit. Heres some other pics since you mentioned it, it really does make it easy to adjust but fitting hoses on the power steering can be a real deal breaker.

mo1.jpg

mo2.jpg

mo3.jpg

mo4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dne',

It's easier just to order everything the aftermarket has to offer and then return whatever is left over.

:rofl

Re: Clip nuts

"Dne'" said:
This is something that has always make me a little aggravated since the beginning of buying parts from a Mustang store. Like these clips, surely the seller knows a person will need these clips, and that goes for so many things and it has cost a great deal of frustation and time to get the little nut that goes with it(whatever) and the seller should know this, or at least ask! ("hey, by the way, you may want to buy the nuts that go with this upper radiator bracket!") lol I'm almost done now, but I still haven't learned to ask! lol so it's my fault! :cry

The problem is that sometimes you have hourly people who are answering the phone instead of working at Walmart with a lot of parts vendors but they don't have the first clue about these cars.

That is why I really like to call places like Mustang Mania and a few other that I have come across where the people really know their stuff. At Mania when you call you get one of the two guys that own the place and they have been messing around with old Mustangs for years. There is a guy like that at my local O'Reilly as well...I walked up to the counter one day with a head light that needed changing. As I started to talk to the guy at the counter and tell him what I need the other guy was already putting what I needed on the counter and gave me the right part without even asking any questions.

Well first off, I love Lethal289's motor! The Edlebrock showing on your heads looks really neat too! I think I'll give them a call, maybe I can get the alternator setup, like I said, I like that!

I want ya'll to know, I think I could start my motor next week! I'm not jumping the gun here but if anything would keep me from firing it, would be the electrical! I'm not asking that right now so please don't address it at this moment. All I need to do is install the gas tank and connect the gas line, and put the alternator, and figure out how to wire my dual electric fans(it's in the instructions, I should be able to do that)! I'll leave the PSpump, AC without belts(they're aways off from getting going). So next questions you'll see me on soon will be the electrical area! I'm a little nervous! :scar

"lethal289" said:
Its the March Performance Bracket and pulley Kit. Heres some other pics since you mentioned it, it really does make it easy to adjust but fitting hoses on the power steering can be a real deal breaker.

mo1.jpg

mo2.jpg

mo3.jpg

mo4.jpg
:beat

"Dne'" said:
garner67, thank you for posting the photo~ could you explain this installation a little more in detail? I like the way that looks~ I was looking at how I could use the holes in the new radiator eventhough they didn't match up to the radiator support.
dne'

I made 2 mounting plates about 3" x 14" that run vertically on each side of the radiator.

Each plate bolts directly to the left & right side radiator flanges. Then the plates bolt directly to the radiator support sheet metal.

I was able to use a couple of existing holes on the radiator support, but I did have to drill 2 new holes in the radiator support sheetmetal to line up to the mounting plate.

Lastly, even though the mounting plates bolted to the sides of the radiator firmly secure the radiator in place, I also glued a 1/4" thick rubber pad to the strut rod supports as a little extra piece of mind. The last thing I want to do is replace that costly Griffin radiator!!!

Let me know if you don't understand what I've done, and I can try to take a few pics this weekend to help illustrate what I did.

Just went with the regular mounting

Thank you Garner for letting me know(and others) how you did that neat modification! I sat in front of my radiator support for a while visulizing about what you said below! We must think alike you and I! However, I just went with the Big block mounts, and that worked ok for me!
Thanks,
dne'

"garner67" said:
I made 2 mounting plates about 3" x 14" that run vertically on each side of the radiator.

Each plate bolts directly to the left & right side radiator flanges. Then the plates bolt directly to the radiator support sheet metal.

I was able to use a couple of existing holes on the radiator support, but I did have to drill 2 new holes in the radiator support sheetmetal to line up to the mounting plate.

Lastly, even though the mounting plates bolted to the sides of the radiator firmly secure the radiator in place, I also glued a 1/4" thick rubber pad to the strut rod supports as a little extra piece of mind. The last thing I want to do is replace that costly Griffin radiator!!!

Let me know if you don't understand what I've done, and I can try to take a few pics this weekend to help illustrate what I did.

"Dne'" said:
This is my first question: The radiator doesn't fit into the little bracket here, so do I just widen it and make it fit? and bolt it in?(there's such a large hole in the little bracket for attaching, why did they make the mounting hole so large.
IMG_8523.jpg

I don't recognize those lower brackets, where did you get them?
I took a couple pics of mine, they are in the car of course so I couldn't get the same angle you show but mine bolt up to the strut rod support and have extra support brackets. Here is a shot from under the car looking at the passenger side from the wheel well area:
72_29_10_09_9_02_33_1.jpg

here is a shot from the engine compartment:
72_29_10_09_9_02_32_0.jpg

If those are working for ya that's great but they don't look like factory 67 big block lower rad brackets.

found a pic of what mine look like online, these are for a Cougar but they are what mine look like.
yhst-11089400041767_2075_141488161

and the rubbers Dave mensioned:
8124R-C.jpg

well I confused myself now, I found these online, look like yours. Maybe a mid year change or something?
c7zz-8149-k.jpg

**edit**
okay I learned something, you have the one year only '67' 390 lower mounts. I have what appear to be 68-70 lower mounts for the 24" radiator.

I"m quite pleased with the way it's mounted now! I'm amazed however how different the'67stang is compared to the, well, all the rest of the years! Just little quirky things!

Craig, the difference in them is the ones she has are '67 390 brackets, not sure why they are different, but they are the only ones listed for '67 cars on most Mustang sites. I have the same ones as you, '68 brackets, I think they both will work.

Lookin' good Dne' :vic

Save yourself a trip to the mustang shop and buy your u-nuts at lowes. They have them in the specialty hardware section. Grab a handful of 1/4x20 and 5/16x18. Those are the most common and you can never have enough of them.

They also carry the larger sizes as well as the extended reach versions. They carry the fender bolts to fit the nuts too. All this hardware looks very similar to factory.

Back