• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My Rear

Johnny M

Hey all,
I need some advice on rear suspension choices for my 67 FB.

I've looked at going with the Corbra IRS and DVS Restoration's kit but $1000-$1500 for a low miles IRS and another $1,600 for the kit is too much$$$.

Same goes for the TCP kit.

Lately I've looked at the Rod and Custom coilover setup which looks good and would suit as I already have a 9" rear. Has anyone had any experience with this kit?

http://www.rcmotorsports.net/Pg7Link.html

Being in Ireland I cannot or will not ever get a chance to personally experience the handling with each of the above so all information is appreciated.

P.S I am running a 400hp 428 with the Mustang II suspension up front and want to drop the car by at least 1". My wheels are 17 x 9.5 out back.

Heidts. Hiedts. One the two make a pretty nice setup that is reasonably priced for a 4 link. I think you can get it with air suspension and rear disc for around 1800.00

"Sluggo" said:
Heidts. Hiedts. One the two make a pretty nice setup that is reasonably priced for a 4 link. I think you can get it with air suspension and rear disc for around 1800.00

I'm just trying to get my head around the different vendors out there. Most of Heidts gear seems very very similar to Rod and Customs stuff. What is the story there?

What is the story there?

From what I've read (and from talking to R&C), R&C has been a small time MII conversion shop since the concept began back in the late 70's. Others, Heidt's (for instance) is newer to the game and has a better marketing team, but IMO, not a better product. R&C to my knowledge has 2 employees. William and Willy, father and son. They take your order, manufacture, box, ship, and invoice your order. It's a small time operation, but is VERY effective as their prices reflect their lower overhead.

Also, ANY of their products can be customized for individual applications. For instance, my '66 rides on a custom one-piece frame. The front frame rails are not exactly like the factory rails (but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference at a glance). When I ordered my MII front suspension, William asked me to measure the distance between the frame rails. I forget what the exact factory spec is.... 42.5"?.... but I measured (three times) and came up with 42.625. No problems as he altered the jig to manufacture the crossmember to meet my measurement. I'm not sure if Heidt's (or others) would be this accomodating... and I'll never find out as I won't shop anywhere else besides R&C for MII conversion pieces.

Back