• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"Needs" versus "wants" - owning a classic Mustang what are yours?

You know having a classic Mustang can be an inner struggle between "needs" versus "wants" and the discipline to prioritize appropriately...

My current

"needs": fix a vibration without load above 75 mph (could be u-joints, yoke, could be drive shaft balance); four drums that need to be turned to stop brake pulsating when stopping; new heater fan, and my horns both high/low are inoperable.

"wants": AM/FM stereo to fill the hole in the dash and stop me from singing Beach Boys aloud from memory (even try the harmonies); I'd like parchment interior paint and re-spray the dash; spare tire cover, GT fog lights, and to start a fund for an air conditioning unit before next summer.

What are some of your current "needs" versus "wants" or your past struggles and decisions?

Watchtrader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Needs= all parts for interior.

Wants= Power breaks, sequential tail lights, Console, A great radio, new interior chrome, Convert to a 390, styled steel wheels, ...,

I need to drive an old car because I don't want to drive a new one.

OR

I need to drive an old car because I can't work on a new one.

Just my short list!

68 Diamond blue coupe

Needs new steering box or rebuilt and new wheel bushings

want brakes that do not squeak.

68 Dark blue Mustang

Need new LCAs

Want "Mustang to Fear" headliner with upper console.

I need a new engine, thankfully it's getting close to finished!

Since my car is all about wants there is no such thing as need. Problem is, all my wants are viewed as needs so it may never be done.

I seem to have the 'needs' covered. Got dual MC and disc brakes covered. As of right now, the onle couple things my '66 NEEDS is seat belts and the front end alignment redone but I can't do that until I have some extra $ so I can have classicdoug's shop cut the messed up UCA bolt out with a plasma cutter so alignment folks can get the right amount of shims up there.

Oh and I need to get off my butt and figure out why my temp gauge isn't working.

What I want... that's a never ending list!

"janschutz" said:
Just my short list!

68 Diamond blue coupe

Needs new steering box or rebuilt and new wheel bushings

want brakes that do not squeak.

68 Dark blue Mustang

Need new LCAs

Want "Mustang to Fear" headliner with upper console.
Have to add to the 68 Diamond blue coupe Needs. I popped a fuse for the AC at lunch today. It has not done that since the Hot Rod Power Tour. Need to get that figured out.

Need:
  • finish installing front disc brakes from CSRP
  • Finish buying parts for T5 swap

Want:
  • A/C!!!
  • Add 12v supply to center console
  • Remote trunk release and gas cap lock
  • Swap instrument panel with dummy lights to 6 gauge cluster

For my '67:
Need
  • Order driveshaft
  • finish ign. wiring from trunk battery/solenoid
  • reinstall gauges
  • FIRST START!

Want
  • AC
  • 3pt. belts
  • headers made for AOD
  • dual exh. with cutouts

Once the wife rides in it AC will move from want to need..
Jon

Needs: None, its one of four cars in our family of 2 drivers.

Wants: To sell it sometimes because it's a nice looking money pit.
Power Steering
T5 Transmission
New Exhaust system. ( I put the current one on 13 years ago when I was 17! lol.)
AC! Only car in the stable that doesn't have it.

Needs:
* Need a smaller diameter driveshaft. Turns out the Crown Vic PI shaft is too big and is rubbing stuff.
* A dyno tune to smooth out the rough edges for the EFI
* I need to go on rattle patrol before it drives me insane!!!

Wants:
* I'd like a new paint job

-Shannon

Needs are minor... Since I put new valve covers on the old oil leaks have been resolved. Now I've got a new one at the timing cover to fix next winter.

Wants: supercharger, wider rear wheels and tires, have dentless repair guy to take out a couple of dings that came from falling walnuts.

Back