• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Fiero Seats!!!

When I mocked up my Fiero seats I actually cut off the raised mounting points and welded some metal stock on to extend the mounting bar and welded some cut off grade 8 bolts as studs at all four corners. The seating height turned out a bit lower than a stock seat. With the welded studs it is also really easy to thread the nuts on from below.

I'm almost finished welding up the seat brackets for the driver's side. I'll hopefully be posting some pics in the next couple days.

I made this all easier by making two jigs out of 1/8" thick, 1.5" wide strip metal. One jig made of four pieces of metal welding in a rectangle shape representing the floor pan and the other jig (again 4 welded pieces) representing the seat. With this, I was able to bolt up the seat tracks so that they would be in the same orientation as they were mounted on the seats... and then with the floor jig, weld my new z-brackets to the seat tracks with the correct spacing. So far it's working pretty good: We'll see because tomorrow I weld the z-brackets to the seat tracks.

I think I'll be pretty close to the Fiero seat stock height when done... which is pretty darned low... again, we'll see in a couple days.

-Shannon

I've finally got the final version of the seat tracks completed:

Here is the completed assembly:
2011-03-27_-_Fiero_Seat_Tracks_001.jpg

The two "z-brackets" on the left... please ignore my sloppy, but functional welding skills:
2011-03-27_-_Fiero_Seat_Tracks_002.jpg

Up close of the bracket:
2011-03-27_-_Fiero_Seat_Tracks_006.jpg

Side shot of the z-bracket:
2011-03-27_-_Fiero_Seat_Tracks_003.jpg

I don't have any pics of the installed seat yet, but it fits at least the same height of the oem seats. I plan to sit the new and old seats in the car and take comparison pics. FYI, the seats look awesome in the car and are very comfortable.

-shannon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back