• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

(New Pics) Z-Bar Issues / Alignment

DEL65

Of The Morons
I'm having trouble with the alignment of the z bar, clutch fork, and upper/lower rods. T5 bell and fork installed and I suspect the problem is caused because the new clutch fork is probably shorter than the original T10 fork. I attached a diagram below.

The misalignment is exaggerated, but accurate. Currently, the upper rod to the pedal is bending toward the block and rubbing the side of the firewall hole and the lower clutch rod is putting pressure on the cotter pin. It looks like the upper and lower rods need to move outward from the z bar in order to be parallel. I do not know if my z bar is bent and need to check the clutch pedal bracket (but it is probably OK)

Also, the z bar is not completely horizontally level. It is a little lower at the block and higher at the frame rail. I am using the teflon bushings and was not planning to install roller bearings.

There are some fixes I'm looking at, but could use some ideas.
1) Opentracker's Clutch Rod Kit. It looks like it may move the alignment points outward.
http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/clutchrods
2) Put washers on the block side of the z bar to ove it toward the frame rail to align the upper rod. Then modify/weld a tab onto the lower part of the zbar to align the lower rod.
3) Anything else?

z_bar_diagram.jpg

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Z-Bar Issues / Alignment

John, is this a new zbar for you? If yes what else is new in this application?

You could simply make you own upper clutch rod, bend to shape as required to center better through the firewall hole.

But first lets hear more about the history of your parts.

TapaYakin' from my iPhone

A

Anonymous

Re: Z-Bar Issues / Alignment

That just sounds wrong. Are you sure you have the Z bar for the correct year car? I can see where the fork might be different if it's shorter, but I don't see why the upper rod would be off.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Z-Bar Issues / Alignment

Yes I'm thinking the upper arm on the zbar is not in the correct location or bent correctly for John's application.

Midlife

Staff member
Donator

Every Z-Bar has bends in the arms such that the rods should be interacting with them in a parallel fashion to where each rod mounts: your diagram doesn't show that. Furthermore, every year Mustang had a different Z-Bar design; it appears Ford never was able to design one adequately. Barilliaro (sp?) makes a very good system: http://www.barillarospeed.net/

DEL65

Of The Morons

Hi thanks for responding so quickly. I am reusing all the parts that were on the car prior to the motor rebuild and T5 swap. No problems with the prior clutch set up.

I suspect one reason the upper rod may be out of whack is due to the position of the motor and trans. Perhaps when I dropped it in, it could be off to the right side. I suppose I could move it over a little bit.

Bending the upper rod is a good alternative idea.

A

Anonymous

If that's true, bending the rod does not fix the problem. If the engine is that much off, you could be asking for a whole new set of drive line problems. It's not like you went from a 289 to a 427 side oiler.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Z-Bar Issues / Alignment

But isnt it the same motor as before? If so then it's just the tranny. What transmission did you have before?

A

Anonymous

The tranny doesn't locate the Z bar. The clutch rod yes, but something is off to make the Z bar shift to the pass side. Dammit, I wish my car was in the garage instead of the dark trailer in the barn.

Opentracker

There are two kinds of block side pivots. The top one is shorter, the lower one is longer. You can get both of them from M+. If you already have the longer one, this won't help but if you have the short one, the longer one will move the Z bar towards the frame.

00892lg.jpg

https://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965 ... o-351.html

00122lg.jpg

https://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965 ... -Side.html

For the upper arm on the z bar, I would pull it off the car and bend it over then weld some 5/16" round bar to it.

Like this. I moved this upper arm a lot to get it back into place. It went in and out of the car several times till it fit right, then I welded on the round bar.
169-250712175808.jpeg

169-250712175942.jpeg

And the reason this Z bar doesn't have the clutch rod kit on it or has any paint is the car was hardly drivable. I did this just to get it home and here it sits. This car does have the longer block side pivot.

Last edited by a moderator:

DEL65

Of The Morons
Hi, thanks for all the info, because it gives me alot to think about. I'm pretty sure I can improve the alignment of z bar a little. Here are some pics of the actual problem:

Upper rod is pulling left toward the block
zbar1.jpg

Lower rod is pulling to the right toward the frame rail and touching the cotter pin
ZBAR2.jpg

ZBAR2A.jpg

From the front looking toward the rear. Meanwhile, the z bar is not level with the block and frame bracket. It is lower at the block. Raising the motor is a problem because of the tight fit with my manifold and the hood.
ZBAR3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Opentracker

That upper arm is bent like mine was. That can be fixed by bending it over a bit and twisting it ( counter clockwise as we look at it ) so it's straight with the chassis.

You can bend that lower arm over too to make it line up with the shift fork. Not having the Z bar tube level with the ground is not a big deal.

Weld some round bar on both of them and :steer

It looks like you have the longer block side pivot.

DEL65

Of The Morons
Hi, still considering the OT clutch bar. You're my #1 vendor. Meanwhile, I did bend the bar and the upper is looking pretty good, the bottom is in a better alignment, but could use another tweak.

Now the clutch return spring is rubbing a little on the bottom of the z bar, so I'll have to mess with that as well. :rant