• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New progress on the Mach

Sluggo

Worked on the front end today. The right front tire rubs the valance panel in tight turns so I decided to have a look and see what was going on. I had noticed when I put the front spoiler on that it was out of alignment on the bottom side.

I stripped it down to the point where I could get a good look at the core support. That's where the trouble began. Looking at the car with the front pieces off the condenser looks skewed. I busted out the tram gauge and did a couple of measurements.

The first, which is the second and third pictures, was from the fender bolt outside the right shock tower to the front left fender bolt. Actually I measured center to center here. I have no idea what the dimension should be. I locked the tram gauge to that measurement and switched to the opposite dimension, outside left shock tower to the front right fender bolt. This is represented by the fourth and fifth pictures. I came up a little short, about 5/8 of an inch.

So needless to say it's going on the frame machine to get squared up next week sometime and then fit back together. This should solve the rubbing as well as the hood and cowl panel being off slightly.

The aligment machine I was working on was off level a bit. The last picture is on level ground, you can look at the car and see the skew in the condenser as well as the hood lock support off kilter. The condenser is bolted into the support top and bottom. I"m not sure yet if the top is knocked to the right or the rails are to the left. I think it's at the top because the hood latch has been moved to the end of it's adjustment to the left in order to compensate for the support being over to the right at the top. Meaurements at the rails will tell.

Of course the frame procedure will be documented and posted upon completion.

Follow link to see pics. Scroll down.
http://www.stangfix.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=50

Back