• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Project; 1971 F100 Pickup

Waffles

Well, in an attempt to bond with my 17 year old brother in law, I decided to convince him to buy a 71 F100.

He's currently driving his mom's minivan, so I started to look for something good for him.

We found this. Guy wanted 2250, I got him down to $1600.

Has a 360 (don't know much about this engine, other than it being in the FE family.) that is original miles right around 70,000. Was a farm truck it's entire life, and though the paint is oxidized and has some surface rust, has some neat natural patina to it. Runs EXCELLENT. Fire quickly and sounds healthy.

3 speed on the tree. Shifts pretty smooth. 9" rear. Dual Exhaust

Only 2 areas of serious rust concern. They're being addressed immediately. Frame is in excellent shape, but needs to be undercoated (what's a cheaper alternative to POR-15?)

Interior's decent.

Should be a fun project. I'll post more pics as we work on it.

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one smooth shifting 3 speed for sure. Go easy on the clutch...

I spent many hours on my Dad's '72 LWB, 302, with that same 3 speed. Nice trucks, easy to work on. Lube the hood hinges before they get locked up. Back, lower corners of the hood are prone to rust as is the fender and door corners.

"Fast68back" said:
D 1 2,..... 3 speeds.

Somehow I knew there would be a smartass...

3-on-the-tree
English

Adjective
3-on-the-tree
(idiomatic) On an automobile, describing the gearshift lever of a steering column-mounted three-speed manual transmission.
Noun
3-on-the-tree
Alternative spelling of three-on-the-tree.
(idiomatic) On an automobile (esp. those produced from 1939 through the mid-1970s), a three-speed manual transmission whose gearshift lever is mounted on the steering column.
Mother and Father learned to drive in a car with a 3-on-the-tree.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/3-on-the-tree

"Waffles" said:
easy guys. its a 3 speed auto, on the column. was it s necessary to burn me at the stake about it?

We were just hacking on ya Waffles, only because we can get away with it on this forum...

youngguns1.jpg

John Tunstall: What do you find funny, Steven? That's no proper table manners.
Charley Bowdre: He's got a way with hogs.
John Tunstall: Congratulations, Charles. You and Steven will be doing the dirty crockery alone this evening.
Charley Bowdre: Sorry, John. It just struck me funny.
John Tunstall: And to William, both of you.
Charley Bowdre: Apologies, Billy. We was just hacking on you.
"Dirty Steve" Stephens: Yeah, we was just hacking on you.
Richard Brewer: Rumor has it you killed a man, Billy. You don't seem like the killing sort.
"Dirty Steve" Stephens: Yeah, Billy. What'd you kill him for?
William H. Bonney: He was hacking on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do those northrun people know about trucks anyway??

Just joining in on the hack job  :bash

"Waffles" said:
easy guys. its a 3 speed auto, on the column. was it s necessary to burn me at the stake about it?

Actually, stake burning happens over in the "Slug Fest" forum of this site.

Those are neat trucks. Got a '74 F100 and '76 F250. The best part about them is the unbelievable amount of room to lay tools under the hood. They come with their own workbench.

They will carry those tools at least 3000 miles with nothing lost also. My Dad did that more than once.....

Nice find! I wouldn't mind one if I could fit in one. I sat in one a while ago and my knees were in my stomach=/

It's tight getting around the steering wheel but there seems to be a lot of room otherwise. I'll have more pics on Tuesday.

My dad has a '78 F250 Ranger that we use for the farm (pulling trailers and such). I love that truck. I've told him that if he ever wants to ge rid of it, its mine. Has a 351c in it. He offered to give it to me for the stang, but I don't feel like killing myself yet.

Back