• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

No spark. Whole new ignition system?

Should I just buy a new ignition since I'm not able to make the one I have work apparently. It seems no matter what i do it wont work. First I had a weak spark and put the same one back on and got no spark, then put a different one on. Still no spark. I tried changing the wires on the coil wondering if I put them on backwards. And still nothing. So I was thinking of just buying a whole new ignition system and doing away with all of it. and starting fresh. Thoughts and ideas?

and if you think I should go with a whole new ignition what would yall suggest? Id prefer a kit.

1973 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland
Currently: Mallory Ignition.
Not getting a spark. PERIOD

Before throwing parts at the car, you need to locate why the current system does not work. If there is no power to the ignition coil, nothing will work, no matter how much it costs.

Get out a wiring schematic and a volt meter and start learning the system. It is easy once you get started.

You might get lucky by throwing parts at it but to me, it would never be a sound system that can be trusted.

1973 wiring diagrams basically don't exist in readable form. The Osborne Electrical Assembly Manuals leave out the connector diagrams, essential to understanding the 1972 edition, which is supposed to be used for 1973 as well. There are subtle changes between the two years. I bought the service technician's editions of the wiring diagrams, from which Osborne copied most of his material. My version is complete, but still difficult to decipher unless you're into wiring diagrams.

Nevertheless, the basics of the ignition system are very simple, and earlier Mustang Shop Manuals would be quite handy for trouble-shooting.

Is it a Mallory unilite? I've run those, and had the optical sensor in the dizzy go bad. And when it went bad, there was no spark.

"66gt350" said:
Is it a Mallory unilite? I've run those, and had the optical sensor in the dizzy go bad. And when it went bad, there was no spark.

Is that the one with the little laser eye looking thing in the distributor?

Yep.

Did you leave the key on for a long time without the car running? I've been told that is a no no with out the power filter.

"southern_boy" said:
So, get an earlier mustang shop manual?

If you don't have a shop manual, get the one for 1973 and it should have good trouble-shooting sections. I was referring to aftermarket wiring diagram books/pamphlets.

Power filter? And as far as I know I didn't leave the key on for a long period of time without it running. Ive always taken the key out. The battery I use to run it is out of my Bronco that I drive daily. So I don't ever have power going to it unless im trying to start it.

Mallory makes an add-on power filter for those distributors that supposedly helps protect the sensor from power spikes.

Did you get any kind of accidental arc when you swapped batteries?

"southern_boy" said:
Hey Sluggo, will changing that sensor in the Distributor fix that spark from the Cable to the battery?
Probably not...if there is something drawing current, the battery cables will spark when you hook them up...and there's almost always *something* drawing juice all the time, even if it's only a tiny draw.

That's part of why I'm so skeered of Mallory stuff...I can't figure out why they are so concerned about sparks and such, cuz it's gonna happen, and I can't figure why they ain't prepared for it.

Back