• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Not sure whats better

Getting a new tool or FINDING a new tool. We tend to have a lot of vendors coming through the warehouse I work at, being the IT guy I usually end up leading them around the place and showing them where the work needs to be done. If I am standing there and a guy forgets a tool, I point it out, but occasionally I find a tool and have no idea who left it there. Its like a jackpot!!! I found a really nice set of wire cutters once when leaving the dealership where Sluggo works (laying on the ground by the gate, cuz I know he'll ask...), today I found a nice set of Jameson Splicing scissors (2nd pair I've found!), I find a lot of screwdrivers and the random socket here and there. I found a nice mag lite once too.

If a tech comes back and asks if I found anything I normally tell them I did indeed and return the tool, unless they were a real prick when they were onsite...then it just depends on my mood. (this is my disclaimer...)

Whats the coolest tool you've found?

lethal289

Two fourteen inch Rigid Pipe wrenches. I assume they fell off a gas company truck. Found a couple of wire cutters. But the wrenches get used all the time.

crustycurmudgeon

I occasionally find tools at the Pick & Pull (understandably). Usually nothing special but I did find a new-ish hammer once.

I wonder how many I've lost, though.

Frank

AzPete

Driving thru Tucson on a Gold Wing motorcycle......I picked up an entire 3/4" (Stanley I think) socket set, every socket, extension, ratchet and adapters.......all scattered over a two mile stretch of back road. After I saw no more tools, I pushed hard to see if there was a service truck close by. Pulled up next to a private business service truck with a guy looking kinda dumb as he looked into an open door. Once I stopped, I asked him if I could have that empty molded tool box he was holding. He asked why and I said cuz I just happen to have a full set of tools that would fit. Got the duh.....look from him and then it hit him. We had a good laugh over it as I dug the tools out of my saddle bag.

abrahamfh

PG&E guy left a whole bag full of Craftsman and Fluke tools. Waited a month for a PG&E truck to drive by so I could wave them down but it never happened.

They are mine now. LoL

"abrahamfh" said:
PG&E guy left a whole bag full of Craftsman and Fluke tools. Waited a month for a PG&E truck to drive by so I could wave them down but it never happened.

They are mine now. LoL

Oh yeah, reminds me, I got my Fluke the same way....

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
"abrahamfh" said:

They are mine now. LoL
You could have picked up the phone...

As a field tech for too many years I can't tell you how many tools I lost. It wasn't that I forgot them, it was that while working in manufacturing plants some one would come by and "borrow" a tool and not return it. Or just outright take stuff while I was head first in a machine. Tools to me were a way to make a living and provide for my family. I had to buy my own and when one got stolen I had to replace it. Just something to consider when you find one and have a way to locate the owner.

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Last year I took part the cowl on the front loader on the farm and found a screwdriver and 2 Large Snap-on Sockets. Since all out tools are Craftsman and these were not. I assume they were left by the previous repair man. That would of been about 10 years ago. I also found a 10' section of chain in the road last year when I was going home about 1 in the morning.

AzPete

That reminds me of a 12' medium weight chain I picked up in the road in 1964....still using it to this day....

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
In 1975, I found a stainless steel money clip (sans cash) in a dryer while doing my laundry at a laundromat. The clip has a knife and a nail file in it as well. I'm still using it to this day, except when I travel. TSA would confiscate it for the 1" dull knife. :no