• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oct 2012 CoTM

I'm posting this today before i forget, cuz i'm old and i do that... The Oct CoTM is going to be "the one that got away", and is open to the first 10 nominations. It must be a Mustang, that you no longer own. You must have at least 2 decent photos (we need one for the banner). So, two pics of the mustang that you wish you still had. Give us the full story, where/when you got it, what you did to it, why you sold it.

Maybe Nov we will do collections, for those with three or more ponies in the current stable, all years, all models.

I'll play...
My first car. It was a 67 Mustang Coupe. I bought it when I was 15. After a couple of years pestering my dad to let me buy a car. I was convinced there would be no Mustangs left by the time I could buy one! It was painted a baby blue color but originally was a teal color. It had been wrecked in the front by a fellow High Schooler's girl friend.
72_04_12_08_9_22_44_0.jpg

I bought it for $500 and my mom wouldn't let me bring it home because it looked bad.
My sister's boyfriend (who later became my brother-in-law), let me keep it at his place and helped me fix the body. I bought a wrecked 67 parts car that was loaded with the turn signal hood, console and straight front end.
My BIL painted it for me. (Brandywine Metallic)
4342_1061710948600_1250204_n.jpg

I drove it all through high school and man I can't believe the power (not the engine) it had. Girls suddenly knew who I was!
I was class president my Junior year and VP my Senior year and nobody before that!
Anyway, after a few years of Northern Illinois winters it was showing it's age and the stock 69 302 was just not enough. I went through the car again and had repainted the same color. I built a small block based on every article I had ever read. I had 289 heads with Chevy valves, ported, screw in studs, rollor rockers, etc. I had a radical cam, high compression, Mallory dual point distributor, huge Holley Carb, the works. I built a C5 (based on the C4 but bell housing bolted to case rather than pump). I used every trick on that too. I had a 3,000 stall converter. The thing was barely streetable.
4342_1061709148555_6082495_n.jpg

72_04_12_08_9_06_14_3.jpg

4342_1061713668668_4708034_n.jpg

72_04_12_08_9_22_44_2.jpg

72_04_12_08_9_22_44_1.jpg

I had the car about 10 years when I a guy I worked with bugged me constantly to fix his or sell him mine. I ended up making a deal to sell him mine, put his stock drivetrain in it and get the 67 I have now. I wish I could get it back though, I wonder where it is??? Lots of great memories in that car!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tee up my latest loss. 2002 Roush GT. I had gone a few years between mustangs when I bought this one brand new. Wasn't even looking for a car when I saw it in a dealer window. Didn't take long to realize it wasn't fast enough to keep up with it's looks. I added the KB twinscrew and drove the hell out of it. Got bored one day and decided to go a different route. Sold it and bought my current project.
I still get hounded about selling such a great ride to buy a "car in boxes". I just wish I had had another garage stall so I could have kept it but I do not regret buying my fastback.

I've got more pics somewhere I'll have to find but here's a couple.

"Horseplay" said:
I'll tee up my latest loss. 2002 Roush GT. I had gone a few years between mustangs when I bought this one brand new. Wasn't even looking for a car when I saw it in a dealer window. Didn't take long to realize it wasn't fast enough to keep up with it's looks. I added the KB twinscrew and drove the hell out of it. Got bored one day and decided to go a different route. Sold it and bought my current project.
I still get hounded about selling such a great ride to buy a "car in boxes". I just wish I had had another garage stall so I could have kept it but I do not regret buying my fastback.

I've got more pics somewhere I'll have to find but here's a couple.

Stage 2?

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Started out as a Stage 1. Purely cosmetic. Body kit, leather, wheels, etc. When I was a kid my uncle had a 73 SS Camaro with side pipes. I thought those were the baddest things ever. I think that is what got me on the Roush. They did sound awesome.

If I thought this was ever going to happen I would have kept pictures of my very first car! A 75 Mustang II, 2.3L, 4 speed chunk of awesomeness. Ok, I wanted a car so bad it didn't matter what it was. I only kept the thing three months before moving to something better. Hmm...now that I think about it, it is a good thing it got away.

Oh now this is a no-brainer poll for me. It would be the 1967 GT500 that Dad and I owned.

How we found it.
201_30_01_10_11_22_35_3.JPG

What it looked like when we sold it.
201_02_02_10_9_49_52.JPG

What is looks like now.
index.php

We bought it for 2400 in 1976 dollars (almost 10,000 in today's money). Had been stolen, then a 289 with a Cougar dash, 69 Mach 1 seats and Orange paint. 2 weeks after the purchase I left for basic training. After I got out 4 years later we took it apart and started restoring and finding parts. Then I met my gf (now my wife) and the project stalled. When Mom and Dad moved in 1999 from the house with the pic of the orange car the Shelby did not go with the move.

fd

This is my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 that I bought new in 1970 in Ft Worth, TX. It had a 351-4V Cleveland, auto, PDB, PS, AC, shaker hood, sport slats,, spoilers, etc. I had the car about 7 months when I was drafted. My dad sold it while I was overseas. I still have the VIN number, but it's not registered in Texas, so I don't know if it survived or not.

I did not count if you have ten yet but here is my unicorn. My dad left this to me, I kept it 10 years and then sold it. Wish I still had it.

I nominate my brother's '83 GT Convertible. It wasn't mine, so sue me. Apparently, it was one of about a thousand GT convertibles that year.

index.php

index.php

He bought it new. During his ownership, the hood flew open, necessitating replacement of the cowl top. He also was run off the road into a telephone pole, damaging a fender. He sold it about 10 years later, not fully cognizant of its rarity.

Ok, here's mine that got away. Here's how I got it:

index.php

Here's a picture:

index.php

And one with both my Mustangs and both my brother's Mustangs:

index.php

It was just a plain jane '66 289 w/auto. Parchment/Palomino interior which I changed to Parchment/Emberglo and pony seats. I sold it about a dozen years ago because I had too many cars. I have another picture a few years later of that same tree blown over in a storm onto the hood and fender. Also, on Halloween 1987 I was rear-ended by a driver with a suspended license and no insurance. He was "looking for a cigarette and didn't see me stop".

Frank

Man do I miss my 83 GT. Black with the flat black hood. Met my wife when I had that car. With the birth of my daughter, my wife said it had to go. I think I kept the right one.

"FordDude" said:
Then I met my gf (now my wife) and the project stalled. When Mom and Dad moved in 1999 from the house with the pic of the orange car the Shelby did not go with the move.

fd

Wait, you left it at the house? Sold it with the house or sold it before they moved?

I'll play - it's already been 7 years since I sold the clone... Have not seen it since either. wassupwidat? :wtf

Purchased in 1994 for $3000. After teardown, I had a good roof and trunklid. Did all the work myself (except paint). First hit the road again in 1999. Kept working on it, drove over 30k miles all over the country, including the 40th at Nashville. Got to drag race, autocross, and open-track it. Won a few awards along the way..., Featured as Mustang & Fords centerfold in 2004, and Mustang Monthly Top 12 for 2004. MCA Modified Gold at 2005 Nationals. Sold for $42,000 in 2005. Hell yeah... :yah

Roller 5.0, 5-speed, 9-inch with 3.25's, side-exit exhaust, 4-wheel disc, Global West suspension, 17" Hopsters, Scat Procars, etc.....

Everybody asks if I miss it... Not really. Did everything I wanted to do, met some great people, and gave me the experience/chance to do other/different things in the future.

dsc156.jpg

cloneat40th.jpg

dsc152.jpg

dscn2209.jpg

1003052.jpg

1003057.jpg

wave.jpg

071805009.jpg

062005001.jpg

... and a "before" picture:
fstbkright.jpg

hpa0027.jpg

"BobV" said:
Speaking of getting old - that thread is 2011. :shrug

Yeah, you are right it is almost a year old... I guess I assumed that the dry run meant it might convert to a "real" COTM poll if there was enough interest.

I was simply suggesting that those member's cars could be considered since nothing ever came of the 10 or so entries...

Had this '65 Fastback for a short while. Bought it from Tony Shores - I think he is a member here as well. I had it for a few months while my 70 was in paint jail/hell.

I'm honestly not real sure why I sold it... but I really wish I wouldn't have.... :sad

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Back