• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oil and Power Steering Leak

Hi all

Seem to have developed some leaks under the car, guess these are common!

Got a mobile tech to come to my home to have a look to try and work a temp solution. He said oil leak is very minor, but power steering leak is bad.

Sent me some pictures. His English isn't very good so found it hard to understand what parts i need to replace. Will have to have my shop take care of it when she goes in next week.

Hope it's not too expensive of a fix. Think he mentioned the pump being good but the rack has an issue.

JB
ca8fb805c62c6907adac7a642abae7ed.jpg
461ed19eeb661f9c6387c94eeb5c05fc.jpg
cc984661515fcd73c424c96a96bdcaf9.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Just for clarity, your car doesn't have a rack (as in rack and pinion) style steering set-up. The old fords used a hydraulic ram to assist movement of the standard type mechanical steering linkage. Those cylinders and fluid lines are notorious for springing leaks. Parts to rebuild are readily available. So are systems to update to a more modern design. Something along the lines of a Borgeson power steering box come to mind.

Just for clarity, your car doesn't have a rack (as in rack and pinion) style steering set-up. The old fords used a hydraulic ram to assist movement of the standard type mechanical steering linkage. Those cylinders and fluid lines are notorious for springing leaks. Parts to rebuild are readily available. So are systems to update to a more modern design. Something along the lines of a Borgeson power steering box come to mind.
The stock power steering system was a piece of poop, I had gone through it and it seemed to spring a leak somewhere every 3 years or so, which is why I ripped the power steering out and went to a manual setup. Leaks from that 'gone'.

Hahaha seems i have a leak coming from the slave cylinder. I've ordered a new seal kit from Summit. Hope that sorts it!

Can i drive the car normally in the meantime?

Hahaha seems i have a leak coming from the slave cylinder. I've ordered a new seal kit from Summit. Hope that sorts it!

Can i drive the car normally in the meantime?

Yes you can drive it. Get some simple green n clean that all up.
And do you mean the ram?
Supposed to be a bellows on the Ram too.

Back