• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Options to lowering seat pans..

AzPete

Now here is a question for you......Instead of lowering the seat pans, (remove/cut/re-weld), what would be needed for structure integrity to leave the seat pans out. Just bolt the seats to the lower floor panel. Gives maximum additional head room but I know it needs more for both support and to replace the bit of bracing the seat pans provides. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this.

Maybe a 1/8 steel plate on the inside floor for seat support and sub frame connectors and a gusset from the sub frame connectors out sideways to the seat mounts?

Thoughts...........

Some minor bracing would probably work okay, but keep in mind that the risers also angle the base of the seat so that you're not sliding forward in the seat when you apply the brakes..... the forward edge of the riser is higher than the rear edge.

Pete, the hard part of this whole job is removing the seats and carpet. Cutting the risers out, modifying them and welding them back in takes about an hour for each side.

I realize it is not that big of a deal to do. Just looking at getting as much room as possible when I do it. The seat angle is something I did not consider but would not be a big problem to solve.

Now, once the risers are done the normal way, how close to the regular floor pan are they? Not sure how much more I might gain going to the floor itself.

The most recent risers I lowered were for my '66. I wanted to make sure I had as much headroom as possible. I'm 6'. I modified the seat risers such that the rear of the riser was approx. 3/8ths inch. off of the floorboard. The front of the riser is at approx. 1 and 3/8ths inch.

Something tells me I should get my nearly empty gas bottle refilled....

Back