• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Painting an engine

Is it possible to use the same paint supplies that are used on the body to paint the engine? Or is that not a good idea due to the heat of the engine? I know I have seen color matched engines before and I am wondering how that is accomplished. It someone can educate me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

I didn't stay at a HIE last night, but I wouldn't use anything but high temp paint.

+1 Use only a high heat resistant paint. I use Dupli-Color engine enamel. What color were you considering? I would use a color that is a contrast against the color of the car.

"cmayna" said:
+1 Use only a high heat resistant paint. I use Dupli-Color engine enamel. What color were you considering? I would use a color that is a contrast against the color of the car.

or you could be like T E R R Y and paint the engine Chevy orange.

I painted the car a Nissan blue color. Wanted to match the engine. But I don't think I can. Haven't found anyone who can mix me the color in a high temp paint. Any thoughts on Just painting the Engine Black? Or maybe a Silver color. Thoughts?

"msell66" said:
"cmayna" said:

or you could be like T E R R Y and paint the engine Chevy orange.
:chair

"68angrypony" said:
I painted the car a Nissan blue color. Wanted to match the engine. But I don't think I can. Haven't found anyone who can mix me the color in a high temp paint. Any thoughts on Just painting the Engine Black? Or maybe a Silver color. Thoughts?
Lots of guys have painted 'em black. Lets it hide in the bay and everything else kind of "pop" against the background.

Painted my Cleveland with Dupli-Color's DE1613 gloss black. Very happy with the results

ClevoB.JPG

i painted my engine with the same type of urethane paint used for the body.

after a good cleaning, i sprayed some epoxy as a primer then topcoated that with the urethane.

The 67 was painted with a purple Duplicolor paint and the 65 was painted black. You can get high temp paint in just about any color custom mix. I have seen it done many times, but not sure of the brand and where to get it.

I like Caddy Blue. When I pull the engine on the 65 to paint the engine bay and do some work to it I am likely going to repaint the engine Caddy Blue. It is sort of a dark blue without being too dark and not the in your face Ford blue.

Mel

"buckeyedemon" said:

after a good cleaning, i sprayed some epoxy as a primer then topcoated that with the urethane.

so you painted and cleared it like the exterior?

"68angrypony" said:
"buckeyedemon" said:

so you painted and cleared it like the exterior?
i used a single stage paint (contains the clear in the color instead of separately). It was the same PPG brand that I painted the undercarriage with. You should be able to get whatever color you want in a single stage. You could do a two stage paint if you wanted. It would just add a little more build (material depth) to the block (and I don't know what the benefit would be). I was trying to minimize the build up.

single stage over epoxy will be fine. i've even done one with a pearl coat & clear that held up great with no issues. years ago before urethanes were the ticket, we would use enamel. think i read somewhere that it held up to like 800 degrees?? cant remember the exact number, but was much higher than what an engine would ever reach.

Back