• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Password protected boards

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
To all:
The old farts lounge' password has been changed.

There recently has been a number of threads, discussing other forums and other people in a derogatory manner, that are not in the spirit of StangFix. Although the philosophy here is very relaxed, these threads/posts have the potential to get both StangFix and its members in hot water. The owner and moderators of StangFix have agreed that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

To that end, we will start a new Farts Lounge, using a password. It will be moderated in a way such that any potential derogatory remarks towards others outside of StangFix will be edited and/or deleted. Threads that diss StangFix members (hopefully all in good fun) should be posted inside SlugFest, where there will be an opportunity for a response by that member. Passwords will be available only from the Moderators...Private Message them.

Should there be a need for Moderator actions (e.g. edit or deletion), the first offense shall be the edit or deletion followed by a private message explaining the action and a review of the rule(s). A second offense by that member shall constitute a banishment for up to 7 days. A third offense shall constitute a banishment for a longer period of time, including permanency.

StangFix is not in competition with other Mustang forums; it deserves to stand on its own merits. Other forums shall not be described in ways that demean those forums, whether in jest or serious in tone. Let's be respectful of other forums and their members...and they, in turn, will be respectful of us.

Re: New Farts Lounge

Thanks Mid. When we started Stangfix, we were looking to start a site with a little more freedom to speak our minds and since most everyone uses a little more colorful language, allow a little of that as well.

What happened was some people used the Grumpy old farts lounge to make some comments about other people and other sites, somehow, some of these comments got back to people and feelings were hurt and people were upset, justifiably so. This is not something that we can or will condone.

We want Stangfix to be a place about people as much as it is the Mustang community. We want members to share the knowledge and the good spirit of the site. We do not have any issues with posting links to other boards, Mustang related or not. If you have issues with someone, and speaking with them directly does not solve the issue, take the discussions to the chat rooms, grab some of the members/friends, vent, get it off your chest. I would hope though that people realize when things are said in confidence that they should not be shared unless a person says it is OK. With the exception of a few of our members, we are all adults.

Lastly, this action that Stangfix is taking is not about any one person. Many people, myself included, were guilty of using the "locked" board to talk $%#@ about other people and or web sites. Please use the old golden rule, "Do onto others as you would wish them do onto you."

Rick

Thanks Guys,

I would like to expand on this subject just a wee bit.

This forum was built on some basic principles.
  • Light moderation
  • No Banning
  • No Deletion of posts
  • Have Fun

Pretty simple.
Let's be perfectly clear, there is no hard feelings or judgment being passed on ANYONE. When I hit post at the end of this memo it will be forgotten.

An issue arose where a poster apparently regretted what he posted and asked that we delete specific posts. This is in direct conflict with our principles, so we had to re-evaluate said principles. In doing so it was decided that maybe we should rethink our ways a bit.

Here is my thoughts on the matter.
Some members may have a legitimate beef with another board or individual from that board. That's fine and to be expected. Keep in mind once you post something here it is forever. Deleting post will from this day forward only be done by consensus of at least three moderators and an admin.

As stated above, we are not interested in competing with other boards. We are what we are and they are what they are. We do not recruit members from other forums. If you have a buddy you want to bring here, fine. Just don't recruit on the other boards time and space.

Those of you that have stepped up and done moderator duties here quickly realize that there are times when it's quite a dilemma whether or not to edit, lock or delete a post. If I have not thanked you for your contribution, I do so now.

I do not have the time nor am I willing to try to protect posts from guests or visitors. Passworded boards here are not a form of exclusion, they are to protect those that do not want experience bad language or posts which may be offensive. This by the way is not a Carte Blanc to post anything you desire. Remember it's most likely going to be forever. Posts that bring shame upon the board and it's founders/members should be contemplated thoroughly prior to posting. Passwords are quite obviously shared with friends who in turn pass them on. Don't think for a minute that once word is out that other site's members don't come looking around.

ANYONE who has an interest in Mustangs is welcome here.

Finally, the only thing asked of someone that requests the password is that they understand they may be offended once they are in. We do not ask them if they a spy or member of another forum.

I'm going to unlock this post because I want to hear your comments.

I just removed the original statement which still should reside in Midlife's reply. This is my own test....to see if I can edit the post and change the wording entirely, not effecting any other posts.

I agree with Sluggo and Rick.

Call me a brown noser or whatever; but one individual (who shall remain nameless) that I mentioned StangFix to (twice) openly expressed that he had no interest in joining this site.

That spoke miles to me.

"AzPete" said:
I have not tried this but can an original poster go back and remove the post or at least the wording once a reply from someone else has been posted? I would think the modify mode would allow this.

Also, I notice the original lounge is still there but appears to be locked. Will it go away or what?

The password has been changed, and the intention is not to distribute that password. The information there should not be searchable (is that true, Sluggo?); if it is, I would recommend that the old forum be deleted...there's too much there that reflects poorly upon all of us (myself included). I don't feel comfortable deleting that forum myself without discussion with the other moderators. It's not worth the time or effort to go through every thread and edit them.

I believe an individual can edit his own posts at any time, however.

"70_Fastback" said:
I agree with Sluggo and Rick.

Call me a brown noser or whatever; but one individual (who shall remain nameless) that I mentioned StangFix to (twice) openly expressed that he had no interest in joining this site.

That spoke miles to me.

Any brother of yours is always welcome Jeremy..... :nice

I agree with all of the above and apologize for my past posts.

With that said, can we still hate on Craig?

"Midlife" said:
I believe an individual can edit his own posts at any time, however.

I just tried it and yes, I completely removed the text you quoted and inserted other as a test.

Certainly agree with the new guidelines, but don't understand why the "let it all out" forums continue to be passworded. Especially now that we are all going to be on our best behavior (heck, just when I was getting to the point where I was almost comfortable making an ass of myself like the rest of you.) I think the warning and disclaimer is sufficient.

You would think a disclaimer would do the job. But believe it or not it's not enough of a deterrent.

Probably the biggest reason is because I break out the f bomb quite a bit in there.

Please feel free to make an ass of yourself at will, it may take some of the pressure off the rest of us fools :rofl

"Jack1966" said:
Certainly agree with the new guidelines, but don't understand why the "let it all out" forums continue to be passworded. Especially now that we are all going to be on our best behavior (heck, just when I was getting to the point where I was almost comfortable making an ass of myself like the rest of you.) I think the warning and disclaimer is sufficient.

It helps to remind me not to go in there while I'm at work. It also is unavailable to guests who might get upset...

I agree that it should be kept PW protected. It's just one last hoop to go through before you get your ass handed to you. Not everyone can take constructive criticism.

:naug :mod :dumas :rofl

All this....and I hadn't even been here yet. :mod :wtf :yikes

Even the thought of me showin' up and you pass all types of rules. :hmm

I need to talk this over with Allen.... :rofl

Back