• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pop-Open fuel cap

I installed a reproduction pop open cap a few years back, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue.
When it opens, it slams onto the bumper, but then doesn't give the fuel nozzle a lot of access to fill-up.
I opted to get one of those fuel necks with the metal wing welded in to minimize splash back, but I'm wondering if the cap is more of the culprit by not allowing the nozzle to fully seat.
I seem to have so much more room with a standard twist on/twist off cap and I'm considering switching back.

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm looking at one that opens up or to the side.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Mel - are you looking at the one from Mustangs to Fear? That one would need too much fabricating to fit the rear body panel on my coupe to make it work at this point in my build.

I think I'm going to just use one of the billet twist off caps or maybe try to shim the pop-open so that it sits further away from the panel to maybe open a bit further.

Same problem here.
I was thinking of making some kind of adaptor that I can push on to the gas pump handle ???

"67resto-coupe" said:
I installed a reproduction pop open cap a few years back, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue.
When it opens, it slams onto the bumper, but then doesn't give the fuel nozzle a lot of access to fill-up.
I opted to get one of those fuel necks with the metal wing welded in to minimize splash back, but I'm wondering if the cap is more of the culprit by not allowing the nozzle to fully seat.
I seem to have so much more room with a standard twist on/twist off cap and I'm considering switching back.

Thanks,
Jeff

That's an inherent problem with the pop-open cap. You can use a cloth to protect the bumper and you need to hold the gas nozzle at an angle, obviously.

Actually I am considering the Mopar one that says fuel.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I like Mel's suggestion. Opens to the side. Looks like it would be a nice fit.

$(KGrHqV,!p8FIM3Jvr0bBSGsyKlrtw~~60_35.JPG

Bill

Does it really need to say fuel on it? I mean even after a couple shots of whiskey, does one forget where to stick the nozzle?

They mount the same way as the Ford caps, but the holes may not line up. So if drilling a couple holes is a modification then yes.

Mel

The rear mounted factory mounted gas gas were notorious for hitting the bumper. You could try moving the bumper down just a bit, or just use a rag between them.

Back