• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power Locks

Well I bought a new alarm and power door locks, has anyone installed these? I have seen one example and the pictures were confusing, so my question is where is the best spot to mount them to line up with the lock rod and be hidden behind the door panel?

If I get a chance I'll try and take a couple pics today to show how I did mine. Not real difficult, really. Basically, I made a plate that fastened to the sheetmetal behind the door panel that extended over to the area beneath the lock rod and mounted the actuator to the plate. I spent more time deciding on how I wanted to route all the lock and power window wiring through to the body.

"Horseplay" said:
If I get a chance I'll try and take a couple pics today to show how I did mine. Not real difficult, really. Basically, I made a plate that fastened to the sheetmetal behind the door panel that extended over to the area beneath the lock rod and mounted the actuator to the plate. I spent more time deciding on how I wanted to route all the lock and power window wiring through to the body.

that's exactly what I did. I don't have any pics of it, but I used a piece of metal just large enough to bolt to the door behind the door panel and extend it out far enough to have the solenoid move parallel to the lock rod. Works like a champ and never had a problem with the doors not locking or unlocking.

OK. Just to give you an idea of what I did here are a few pictures. Giving you exact dimensions is not a good idea as your actuator is probably slightly different, etc. I will give you a quick sketch of the plate I made to give you an idea of dimension. You probably could use it to scale as I believe your door (67?) is basically the same as a 65. I couldn't get a very good shot of the rod you need to fabricate without removing the assembly. I tried but the door glass needs to be removed to gain adequate access to loosen the set screw on the rod coupling.

Make sure you have the glass out when you do this as you will probably find you need to make a few attempts before you get the rod length adjustment just right.

Attachments

• p-lock 1.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 91
  • p-lock 2.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 89
  • p-lock 3.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 87
Here's a quick one of the plate itself, just so you have an idea of size.

Attachments

• actuator plate.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Horseplay! i thought that a bracket would help it out a lot, I will try one out like that. What brand actuators and keyless entry system did you use?

My installation was similar except I used fiberglass plates... here are pictures of the mock-up.

Attachments

• May 07 135.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • May 07 136.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • May 07 137.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • May 07 138.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
"norcal67coupe" said:
Thanks Horseplay! i thought that a bracket would help it out a lot, I will try one out like that. What brand actuators and keyless entry system did you use?
When I bought mine I was buying a lot of stuff for the car. I got mine from A1 Electric as a kit that also included a remote system. I'm sure I paid more than I could have at the time if I had sourced the individual parts myself and cobbled it together. The thing I did give consideration to was the quality of parts included. The actuators are made by a company called MES (Swiss) and are very highly regarded for quality. The last thing I wanted to be doing was replacing cheap Chinese units 6 months down the road. Once my doors are sealed up I do not want to worry about what is inside them.

As an aside, if power windows are also in your future, do not waste your money on A1 Electric power window kits. They lack the necessary torque and you will be disappointed. I went with Nu Relics and can attest to them being extremely good units. Bolt right in and work great. Worth the money, IMHO.

"Horseplay" said:
When I bought mine I was buying a lot of stuff for the car. I got mine from A1 Electric as a kit that also included a remote system. I'm sure I paid more than I could have at the time if I had sourced the individual parts myself and cobbled it together. The thing I did give consideration to was the quality of parts included. The actuators are made by a company called MES (Swiss) and are very highly regarded for quality. The last thing I wanted to be doing was replacing cheap Chinese units 6 months down the road. Once my doors are sealed up I do not want to worry about what is inside them.

As an aside, if power windows are also in your future, do not waste your money on A1 Electric power window kits. They lack the necessary torque and you will be disappointed. I went with Nu Relics and can attest to them being extremely good units. Bolt right in and work great. Worth the money, IMHO.

Thanks all for the help, I also went the A1 route and just waiting on dialing in the electrical on it. As for the windows great tip one of those things you don't realize til its installed, but as for right now I have a tight time schedule to get paint, efi/t5 installed, and interior reinstalled by august, but maybe in the future.

Back