• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power Steering or not?

tarafied1

Dave,
Now that I switched to the FPA headers I have room for the power steering. I have accumulated the parts (except they are all used) to put Power Steering on my car. I should rebuild the cylinder and valve and replace the hoses. I may need a bracket for the cyl. to clear the headers also. OR... I could just swap the non-power steering gearbox off the POS coupe you gave me. Right now I have a PS gearbox without the PS and it's a real bear to park and steer in a tight location. In June as you know I plan to do the Hot Rod Power Tour. I'm worried if I go thru and rebuild all this stuff and install it that I may have some issue during the tour (leaks, something breaks, you know). If I just switch to the non PS gearbox it will be a lot easier to steer and less stuff to worry about but I don't know if the gear box is sloppy and I lose the quicker ratio. What would you do?

okay, Dave must be busy... wasn't he going to Vegas or something like that? anyone else have an opinion?

Stay manual and just suck it up......plus I have heard of so many having problems in one way or another with drop down brackets.

Craig,
If you decide to go with PS and need one of the drop brackets...let me know and it's yours. I have one sitting in the parts bin that I'm not using. When you buy them, they suck...the brackets have a lot of flex in 'em. I added some reinforcements to mine. I went from PS to manual, and now looking at putting a power rack in the car.

Real men don't need/want power steering. It's hard and we like it that way.

YMMV :ecit

Stick with the manual. Get the right box, roller idler and you'll be good. The factory power steering removes all road feel. Easier to park but less fun to drive.

Craig, I finally managed to pull the trunk hinges off the 67 parts coupe I have. They are yours if you want them.

"RyanG85" said:
Stick with the manual. Get the right box, roller idler and you'll be good. The factory power steering removes all road feel. Easier to park but less fun to drive.

Craig, I finally managed to pull the trunk hinges off the 67 parts coupe I have. They are yours if you want them.
yeah, I want 'em... PM what I need to send you for shipping or do you want a modified fuel filler in trade? and if yes, what year?
"66gt350" said:
Craig,
If you decide to go with PS and need one of the drop brackets...let me know and it's yours. I have one sitting in the parts bin that I'm not using. When you buy them, they suck...the brackets have a lot of flex in 'em. I added some reinforcements to mine. I went from PS to manual, and now looking at putting a power rack in the car.
thanks, I may take you up on that... maybe a modified fuel filler to you too

as for the PS, I'm not just talking about manual vs power. I have the PS gearbox with the quicker ratio and a HUGE BBF sitting on the front wheels. I drove my dad's 66 which is a factory manual steering small block car and it feels like it has PS compared to my car!
I have been dreading the "no feel" PS but it is a real PIA to park or turn around and no way can you drive thru a parking lot slow with one hand. Now I do like the idea of the roller idler and maybe with the right gearbox it will be easier to steer at slow speeds. It's fine at anything above about 30 mph...

Craig,

While I sympathize with your desire for easier steering during the Power Tour, now is not the time to be modifying your car for creature comforts issues. Keep it running/driving in top notch shape and if after the Power Tour you still want PS then you can change it over. The manual system you have in place is road tested and other than an arm workout is in good working order. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

thanks, that was kinda what I was planning. Just like you said, this set-up is road tested proven reliable. Don't need no self inflicted headaches!

Back