• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

PPG omni paint

Badass70

Anyone have any problems with ppg omni I recently painted my car and this paint is such a PITA.. I'm at the point where we are changing the paint and going with something better such crap.. It just sucks I wasted 1 1/2 gallons of paint on this car.. What is a decent paint that ppg makes that is reasonably priced?
It's just everytime we wetsand to get the orange peel out the paint seems come right off.. Very fustrating
Thanks for the help

What do you mean "seems to come right off"? Are you talking about an adhesion issue? If so, are you sure it's just about the paint? I'd be thinking more about surface prep. While Omni isn't a premier line, it certainly shouldn't be lifting off. What primer/sealer did you use and how did you prep prior to laying on the color?

I recommend to stop worrying about the cost and concentrate on getting a good product. Now that you have to buy all over again you see you could have bought a higher grade paint to begin with...as is the case you typically find when you choose a path based on cost.

I used PPG Concept Acrylic Urethane (single stage) and Concept Urethane Clear on top and was very happy with the results.

I'm not sure what the primer was I think it was on the omni line epoxy primer, the place I bought the paint recommended this line of paint.. What I mean by coming off it didn't flow nicely.. There's prob 6 coats on the car and while wet sanding the primer comes right through the paint.. So it turns like a green color.. Now I'm just am novice on this whole paint thing just looking for advice.. I didn't paint the car I helped prep It and watched it get painted..

The color thing isn't much help if you don't tell us the color of the paint/primer. I'll assume you are describing the effect you see as you burn through the paint into the primer. Is this a base coat/clear coat application? It sounds like you are simply sanding too deep. If you have to go that far to lose the peel I'd have to say the job wasn't sprayed too well.

I don't know the color code but its sunburst yellow. Yeah you could call it burning through I guess.. It's a single stage paint if that helps

My car was sprayed with PPG omni and it came out great. The painter wet sanded and buffed with no trouble. I do have 3 coats of clear over top of the omni to stand up to the weather a little better. The car was painted a couple years ago and I haven't had any issues yet. It may be a prep issue you are having. I have some pics. in my gallery you can check out.

Well for a paint like that how would you prep it properly? Just so make sure we did do it right and I can fix my mistake..
Thanks

"Badass70" said:
I don't know the color code but its sunburst yellow. Yeah you could call it burning through I guess.. It's a single stage paint if that helps
I'm pretty confident when I tell you it is not a paint product issue. You've either got application issues (poorly sprayed) or you are getting far too aggressive with the wet sanding. Maybe both. Did you follow the material application guidelines when spraying? Scuff the primer before shooting color, etc. Coat within the proper timing windows? Mix at the right ratios?

Walk us through how you are wet sanding. What grade paper are you using? Technique, etc.

Also, like 6t6red did, once you get the color figured out you will be much better served laying a clear over the top. Makes the paint look better but more importantly helps to protect the paint from chips, scratches etc.

i use ALOT of omni paint on the motorcycles & i can tell you that it is thinner than the deltron line. some colors i have fits getting coverage. yellow is one of those colors. they use alot of clear binder in the omni line mix formulas & best advice i can give is either respray & use a pure white for the first coat which will make the yellow cover easier or better yet, wetsand the car with 600 & have the color mixed in deltron & add a couple more coats on top of what you already have there. just be careful to not keep adding layer upon layer or you will have issues later on.

I'm no expert and probably not a ton of help here, but the wing on the back of Scary I painted with the PPG Omni. It's black, so that may make a difference, but I thought it was amongst the easiest paints I've used.

I don't remember it being a single stage, though. I did two coats of the black base coat, and 3 coats of clear.

Well first thing we did was use a wax remover to clean the surface of the car then we would shoot the car. I let it sit for a week without touching it.. Started wet sanding it with 600 then the 600 just wasn't cutting it enough so we went lightly with 320.. That's when we had the issues.. Always sand diagonal, then cross that going the opposite way, that's as far as I've gotton because no need to buff yet, this is just how I've been taught so input would be nice

320 is your first problem. WAY too aggressive. You should be using something along the lines of 1500 to color sand...up to 2000. Then buffing.

Happy to try and help.

Do some reading and I think you'll get a better idea of how you want to proceed. I strongly recommend you spray a test piece (old hood, etc.) and do some practicing before going back on the actual car. If your orange peel is real bad you can use a bit more aggressive paper but for a novice you're much better off staying lighter and sanding a bit more. You get into a 3 digit paper and it gets real easy to cut straight through the paint. The main thing is to keep the water flowing and your paper clean.

+1

320 is heavier grit than i use to wetsand the car BEFORE shooting color. after i shoot i colorsand with 2000 grit then buff. using the 320 to colorsand removed all the paint. good thing is, you can go back over with 600 now & it will be ready to reshoot. if i can help with any tips or info, let me know & i'll PM my cell #

Again, I'll start with the fact that I'm far from any expert, but I've always been told that the wet sanding is easiest 24 hours after the final coat is shot. After that, the paint really starts to cure and harden and becomes MUCH harder to sand, which is causing you to go to 320 grit paper and eat right through the paint.

Be sure to check with your paint supplier and ask about cure times and get some guidance on when is too soon to start sanding. Myself, I would rather let it cure a bit more. A little extra effort to smooth it out is better than it being easier to remove...meaning easier to sand through.

Back