• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pulleys

blueoval68

I have a 408 built from a 1984 block, I'm going to run P/S and Air and need a 3 groove crank pulley, Does anybody know what size pulley is required so that I'm not under or over driving the P/S pump alternator etc? I bought the engine without any front dress and trial and error could get expensive.
Thanks.

Do you have the harmonic dampner yet? Did you balance the engine with it and the flexplate/flywheel?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may be headed down the same slippery slope I slid. I wanted the '70/later setup on my '69's 408. I was able to find the '70/later alternator brackets (yes, you need 2, and the '69/prior won't work). The hard part was trying to find a '70/later PS bracket and hook it up to my '69 power steering.

It took me over a year to find the correct brackets. I bought every bracket that some bozo claimed was for a '70 351w, only to find every one of them was really for a 302.

The alternative, if you're going to do the '70/later setup is to go all aftermarket, like the Ford Racing or March.

I too have this problem. Right now it is solved by only running the alt. I'm really wanting to put the power steering back on it soon.

I'm going to have to buy the 179.00 damper from NPD to run the original 3 bolt pulley (which I have to find) find a 2 shiev waterpump pulley and an ac idler bracket and pulley. Oh yeah, and it has to be a 50oz balancer too.

Friggin' strokers :$$$

Back