• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Question on AC evap?

gwstang

I need to add AC to my '66 with the aluminum radiator. I have a trans cooler mounted on the front of the radiator for the AOD trans to keep it cool. My question is this: which side does the condenser go on the front of the radiator...passenger or driver side? I took the radiator out today to drop it by the welder with the tig to have the lower outlet lowered because the outlet makes the steel hose go right up against the alternator fan/pulley. I don't know why the outlet is angled upward so much? Anyway, I need to know where the condenser mounts so I can put the trans cooler on the other side. BTW this will be one of the aftermarket AC units. Thanks, Gary sweating in Alabama...buy not for long...lol :hs

It will cover the entire front of the radiator, maybe a bit short of the very top. Brackets on both sides of the rad. support. The trans cooler mounts in front of the A/C condenser. A real pain since all need just a slight gap between them plus you must clear the hood latch mounting.

You can pull up on line instructions on just about any unit out there.

Thanks Pete. My radiator is about half again larger than the original little wienie radiator. I had to trim the support back quite a bit and it is still larger than the opening. I didn't think about checking online directions so Ill check for that. :wor thanks again, Gary

You may have to make/modify the mounting since you have a larger opening. The radiator also may be in the way of the lines going to the condenser since they go thru the radiator support right at the curve towards the rear to the original radiator mounts. Not hard to modify....maybe longer lines. You also may call the company you plan to buy from and they might be able to make adjustments for your case.

Back