1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

r3pp

Discussion in 'General Mustang Discussion' started by JeffTepper, Aug 8, 2018.

1. JeffTepper

JeffTepper Well-Known Member

Anyone hear of or know anything about these guys? I just stumbled upon their products today. Sounds like they are building a ground up vintage Mustang body here in the US as an alternative to Dynacorn. Their front and rear suspension designs look interesting. It seems they are well funded and have invested in the R&D side extensively. Here's a link to their site: http://r3pp.com/

2. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Looked at their website, but I could not see where they get their sheet metal and they don't say anything about having the stamping machines. I suspect most of the metal is from Dynacorn and/or other vendors.

3. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

I had seen the website after seeing something about them on the web, as Mid said though it isn't clear if they make the shells themselves.

4. B67FSTB

B67FSTB The NorCal dude from Belgium

They maybe assemble themselves , but where do the parts come from ? Dynacorn , Sherman ?
    I don't believe the story about taking measurement from each orignal car that were made at Metuchen , San Jose and that other plant for making they own parts.
    If they would make the parts themselves , it would shown on their website.
    Its something you should be proud of it and thereby they would show of with this on their website.
    my2eurocent.

5. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

I watched both the front and rear installation videos and they have the beefiest suspension (by far) for a classic that I've ever seen. If you're going restomod it looks like a very nice and well thought out system. I haven't read any handeling reviews, but I intend to stick with the more classic components (with upgrades) anyway. I haven't seen any pricing, but I'll bet its very $teep. Interesting company.

6. stangg

stangg Active Member

It makes sense that they are using Dynacorn sheetmetal and assembling themselves... I'm pretty sure when Dynacorn first came out with the fastbacks, that they were shipping the components to the US and assembly was done stateside. If they were truly building their own sheetmetal stampings, then their suspension parts would be better integrated as opposed to looking like bolt-on parts.

7. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

The tooling costs alone would seem insurmountable for them to be doing this on their own. Even if they went overseas to get the metal stamped. Perhaps Dynacorn has suppliers that these guys are also using to produce their metal which would allow them to say its theirs. I don't see anything special or new in their suspension stuff from the two small pictures I came across. If i were to guess this is just another place to go to have someone build you a VERY EXPENSIVE reproduction vehicle. If I had to go the new shell route I would much rather buy the Dynacorn and do it all myself.

8. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

for a better look watch the installation videos. The front is built like a tank, and the rear is a four link horizontal coil over. Its so far from stock that I wouldn't do it, but it sure is beefy.

9. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

Good find on the videos. Interesting approach using a cantilevered rear suspension. Hate that they promote it as a bolt in. Those brackets should be welded and I'm sure they do that in their own installations. Love the idea of a four link but those are the shortest upper arms I have ever seen on ANY install. Certainly not what I would call standard geometry but maybe it works well. Just looks weird.

That whole front system is crazy! Beefy doesn't begin to cover it. Fabricated spindles even. Looks like something I would expect to find under the General Lee. I bet that could handle a few "bridge is out" jumps! Not a fan of the whole tubular crossmember apparatus though as it would seem a nightmare to try and work around. And those lower arms, my god. Overkill. Have to tip the hat to the engineering though as the whole thing looks thought out. Just not sure why so much for something short of a very serious race car.

10. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

I am guessing this was a "racing" inspired suspension since it is a front steer design where you get zero or reverse ackerman. While that works great on race cars, it's not that great on street cars. And I know even rear steer will not have true ackerman during the entire sweep it is much better than front steer (on a street car). I also know it is possible to get a front steer to have ackerman but the tie rod ends have to really intrude into the wheel area.
    It also brings up the age old (okay vintage mustangs only go back so far) debate on what cutting the shock towers out of the car do to it's strength. Looks like a nice kit though, I wonder how much weight savings if any...