• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

radiator support/frt x member

napaguy

I am reading some conflicting info on how to support the car when replacing the front crossmember/radiator support combo. This is on my 66 bare shell. Right now I have jack stands under the rear rails, the front rails under the firewall and a floor jack under the brace that runs to the bottom of the front rails in the engine compartment. Is this enough? I would think so but others say the car needs to be on the wheels? Thoughts please?

With reproduction sheet metal what it is.... you really don't want to hear my answer.

When replacing the radiator support on a disassembled car, I re-hang the doors, fenders, hood, grille and front valance prior to finish welding the new radiator support. This is probably overkill, but it brings piece of mind that all of the frontend sheetmetal will align perfectly during the re-assembly phase.

Dave,
I appreciate the tips but how do you support the car when fitting the radiator support? Before I finish weld I will hang the sheetmetal

In your case, where you have them should be just fine. The body is not going to be twisted or anything like that.... if something is whacked out of alignment, you'll know it when you're hanging your doors/front end.

Back