• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Radio Questions

lethal289

im using an aftermarket alpine cd player in my 67, right now i dont have permanent power to it, and im wondering whats the easiest way to do it? and Does it need to be fused? Thanks in advance.

radio1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You should need both, keyed 12V and constant 12V to retain your presets and the clock etc. The original radios did not have these so they only used the keyed 12V. IIRC the cigar lighter is constant, you could tap it there. If you look at the wiring diagram there is also a olug near the heater box that is constant 12V, thats the one I used. I think it may have been for a glove box light or something, which my car did not have.

Thanks rick, Is it ok to just splice it in? does it need individually fused? I assume if your just the lighter, or glove box light, its already fused, and that should be good enough?

I only fused my deck on the switched 12v. The constant is only like 22 gauge and has very little power draw; I saw no need to put a fuse on it. Then again, I supposed you can never really have too many fuses... but I don't think it is required. Good luck!

"70_Fastback" said:
I, personally, would fuse both lines at the radio.

Why even risk it?
Thanks J. I appreciate the help. but a little late to the party arent we? Where were you... ohh i dont know, 60 DAYS AGO? :yikes

Back