• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rapid Rabbit family history (warning Corvette stuff in here)

RapidRabbit

Donator
Hey everybody.

I thought I would share a little family history.

My father was a drag racer back in the early days. He grew up in Delaware and raced all over the east coast. He mostly raced corvettes from 57 to 61. In 1961 he won the nationals in Indy in his class. He was racing a 61 Corvette called the Rapid Rabbit.The name comes from our last name which is Hare, and everyone said that he was "quick out of the Hole, like a bunny" The car had a 283 fuel injected motor and was putting out about 315 HP. He used to race against Grumpy Jenkins and even knew Don Garlits. He had tracks pay him to come and match race there so they could bill him as a main attraction. One time the Atco NJ track even had a party to honor him and Don Garlits at the same time.

I have spent the last 25 years searching for his 61 Corvette, hoping maybe someone knew what happened to it. After years of searching I finally have the answers I was looking for. Here is the short and sad story as told to me by the engine builder who rebuilt the motor for the next owner. I found him on a forum a few weeks ago and him and his son are still building engines in PA. He called me and told me everything he knew about the car and it's history.

At the 61 NHRA Nationals in Indy, my dad ran 13.73 at 104.65 mph and took the trophy for his class. In late 62 he sold his corvette to a dealership, because he was expecting his first child, my oldest brother. The car was then purchased by a man named Paul Alberts and brought to an engine builder in PA named Roger Sinistri. Sinistri rebuilt the motor then they took it to Indy for the 63 nationals and were disqualified due to the battery having been relocated to the trunk to make room for the homemade headers installed by my Dad and his mechanic. OOPs.

In 63 it made two record runs at 129.22 MPH to set a national speed record. They then reworked the car again and made it to the 64 nationals Et of 12.73 and won the class.

The car was then sold again to someone else and raced for 2 more seasons. Then it was put away in a garage and destroyed by a fire. The only thing left was the frame and the roll bar.
:cry

This is the sad ending to my dream to some day find and own my dad's 61 corvette. But at least now after all these years of searching, I know what happened to it.

My Dad moved to WI for work in the mid sixties and in 69 made a brief return to drag racing. He bought a brand new 69 Camaro with a 427 Big block and reworked the motor to 600HP and started racing again. He was running mid to high 9's in the quarter mile at about 149 MPH. Shortly into the 69 season he blew the motor on the car and gave the car to his mechanic and crew chief and walked away from racing to raise his family.

Now if I haven't bored everyone too much with my novel. Here are some pics of the car. Cause I know the :rulez.

DSC00756-1.jpg

My dad after winning 61 Nationals
dadsvette.jpg

On the starting at 61 Nationals
DSC00754-1.jpg

Not sure where this one was taken.
rapidrabbit2.jpg

This is after my dad sold it. Paul Alberts was driving it then.

Thanks for letting me share. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting history/story. My dad owned/managed some furiniture stores for 30+ years and is now retired down in Florida with the rest of our nation's old people.... not a lot of excitement in that.

Nice story. Too bad about the car. But it is better to know than to wonder the rest of your life where it is.

"Jack1966" said:
Nice history. If I were in shoes, I think I'd be driving a 61 vette.

I have always wanted one. Little too pricey for me right now. And I always hoped I would find my dads.
Maybe someday.

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't it be neat if your dads engine builder did yours when your ready?

"lethal289" said:
Very cool story! Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't it be neat if your dads engine builder did yours when your ready?

That's exactly what my wife said when I told her about him. She was ready to buy me plan tickets to go see him.

Very cool story. I've always thought a lot of the FI Corvettes. If I had the resources I'd trade my vert in a heartbeat for a 65 327 FI roadster. Alas, It would take at least 4X what I could get for the vert to make it happen, so no way.

very nice story. I married a Chevy guy. We have a 66 vette in the garage I'm desperately trying to sell... lol

Very cool story, I vote to have your dad's engine builder do your engine too.

"silverblueBP" said:
Very cool story, I vote to have your dad's engine builder do your engine too.

+1 everytime you fire up the engine, your dade sits beside you and gives you some advice !!

"n_pieces" said:
yeah but I got rid of 1 chevy and bought him a ford!! so, one down, one to go!!
anyone wanna buy a vette? lol

Parts are way too expensive on those things so I guess it's a good thing I never much cared for them.

I was at my buddy's shop one day. He owns an old Vette and has worked on several for customers. He showed me some what would appear to be fairly minor part and said it cost a couple of hundred, looked like a fuel line or vacuum line...something along that order. He already has a '65 Mustang so I told him I'd sell the Vette if I were him, LOL!

Now if you had pictures of the '69 Camaro that would be sweet.

"n_pieces" said:
very nice story. I married a Chevy guy. We have a 66 vette in the garage I'm desperately trying to sell... lol
Awesome story, Rabbit!!

I guess I got lucky...I married a mustang chick. She owned and drag raced an '89 GT.

"Fast68back" said:
Cool story. No pics of the Camaro?

No, he didn't really have it long enough to take pictures of I guess. There might be a picture of it on our old slides. I am trying to dig them out from my Mom's garage. He did have a mural on the trunk of a rabbit with drag slicks doing a burn out.

"lethal289" said:
Rabbit, Im glad you have seen the light, but how did you end up with a mustang?

I had 2 fox body convertibles when I was younger and went to a couple of all mustang shows and got hooked on the Mustang culture I guess. My dad worked for Old Cars Weekly for many years and took me to a lot of car shows all over the country. So I have a love for all classic cars. I was all set to build a 48 Willys when I found a local guy selling my current stang for $6000 and decided to go that route instead.

Thank you for posting this history. I have been wondering what happened to the Rapid Rabbit for many years. I spent much of my misplaced youth at Cecil County and was always amazed by this car. I watched it run with Super Stock 409's and 426 MoPar's and win. I never saw any 327 A/SP beat the Rabbit. I also remember a fellow whose first name I think was Steve tell me that Dick was his uncle. Steve and Don Potter Jr. hung around together and we all went to John Dickinson High School.

In the mid '70's I moved to California and worked with a gentleman named Mike Dunn. This is not the commentator on ESPN but another who also raced a B/SP '61 'Vette in the early '60's and held national records at various times. I mentioned to him that we on the east coast also had a record holding B/SP and he immediately said "You mean the Rapid Rabbit, the Dick Hare car?" "Every time I set the record, he beat it!"

I got into Corvette restoration while in California and as stated before, often wondered about the fate of the Rabbit and am sorry for what did happen to it. I have hoped that the car would have been found and restored to appear as it did in it's glory days with the Rabbit on the trunk.

Mike McCormick

Thanks for sharing your story. I am always surprised when I hear so many people remember watching the car race way back on the day.

I would never had found any of this info without the help of Roger sinistri and his son. They took the time to personally call me and tell me what happened to the car.

If you go on the hamb forum they have a thread on nhra cars which is where I started to find out about the history.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Back