• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ready or Not ...

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I personally own the family land (74 acres) but my parents still live there. That has been great since they are doing the bulk of the maintenance. I knew someday that effort would be all mine since every year they can do less and less. That day came last Saturday. My Dad said he can not do it anymore and it is all mine. He is ready to just go to town and eat donuts and drink coffee with all the other old farmers.

I was not ready for that and now have a heavy burden. Now I have to contemplate how to simplify my life to take on these extra responsibilities. The one thing that will not go is my Mustang.

Thanks for letting me speak.

Last edited:
Good luck! I am considering moving to South Dakota n buying land there, but I don't think I will farm.

So what exactly will you now have to take over? Is the acreage active farmland? Livestock? Or is more of just a lot of mowing, brush control/trimming, fence mending, etc? I guess I'm wondering if it is doable weekend labor or requires more. Sounds as if you might need to be hiring some labor.

Right now the work is doable. Like you said: "a lot of mowing, brush control/trimming, fence mending, etc" My Dad will be getting rid of the Boar goats which I find destructive to the fences. I will need to take them to the sale barn since my Dad is one of those old men bad drivers.

I added 6 heifers and a bull last year to the livestock. My mom for now is keeping most of her show goats (pygmies and Nigerians).

A lot of the fences are getting old and the pressure treated fence posts are rotting at the ground level. Lucky the cows needs less of a sturdy fence than the goats.

The immediate need I have to pickup is the tractor and vehicle (trucks and 4 wheeler) and house maintenance.

Also with 13 barns, I hope a couple that are in disrepair can come down. I need find out how much to concrete the floor in a couple of them for future car tinkering. There is also a couple I hope to cover into cabins for rental property.

wow...you do have a lot on your plate now. Take one thing at a time......don't forget to breath.

Interesting you bring up goats. My two nieces and nephew have raised meat goats thru 4-H for several years. They had daily responsibilities to feed, walk n clean their pens. They also have had to make presentations. First year they all cried but they now get it. They also had to keep track of all expenses.
Great experience for them

Wish you were also. I have lots of barn you could park projects.

Last night, I brought up Google satellite view. All totaled, there are 23 buildings. Sheds, Barns, House and Garage.
Sounds like a couple would might make nice ammo dumps.

Back