• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear License plate light won't fit between bumper and valance.

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
After many "put on" & "take off" exercises of the rear bumper; I was pretty happy with my final fitment of the repop bumper. I had to massage the existing bumper brackets a bit to allow a bit more adjustability of the bumper though.

I then realized that I forgot to install the rear license plate light fixture. I had purchased a new unit because my old one had a faulty wiring socket, etc. So... back off the bumper came.

I installed the new repop L.P. light and went to reinstall the bumper and *crunch* - the light was hitting the rear valance. Grr... Thinking that it was perhaps just a repop issue, i tried the original L.P. light also. And with the same results. It also hit on the valance. There is just not enough space between the bumper cavity and the valance bump out for the light to fit.

Note the valance is original and the bumper is a repop.

Look at the pic, does it look like my bumper is off somehow? I think it fits pretty good. But maybe I'm wrong since I didn't have the original bumper anymore to compare to.

265237.jpg

Anyone else have a similar problem? And a remedy? Should I just fabricate some type of L.P. light?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumper looks a bit too far forward on the RHS...should have even gap around the entire perimeter...bottom and top looks OK. It may be just the angle of the photo.

There is just not enough space between the bumper cavity and the valance bump out for the light to fit.

It's going to be a tight fit, but the LP light should fit w/o interference. I doubt the problem is with the repo bumper. More likely the bumper/bumper brackets will need to be shimmed to produce enough clearance. I'd play around with some shims before I ditched the light.

Also, I normally tape some heavy grade (construction) paper around the freshly painted areas that are likely to get dinged while fitting the bumper.... especially if you're installing the bumper by yourself. Scrapping fresh paint off of the car while playing around with the bumper alignment is a mistake you'll only make once, trust me.

I know it may sound goofy, but I always put old socks on the end of the bumpers when doing installs. Worked really well on the front bumper too.

And Randy, the pic is a bit decieving, the bumper gaps are even, I worked on them a long time. I may have to just shim them out, I just like the way it looks with the body now.

And realistically, I think I would need to shim out a good 1/4" - which is not acceptable to me.

You can't relocate the holes in the bumper where the lp lamp bolts in? The speed nuts are on the lamp correct?

I could, though I hate to drill through the chrome for fear of flaking off larger pieces. Maybe it's not a real concern - but it's a gut feeling.

I'm going to molest the crap out of that license plate fixture housing and make'er work.

"70_Fastback" said:
I could, though I hate to drill through the chrome for fear of flaking off larger pieces. Maybe it's not a real concern - but it's a gut feeling.

I'm going to molest the crap out of that license plate fixture housing and make'er work.

Shot you a pic of the 70 clone in the garage. No shims on the bumper to body brackets, about 1 inch clearance all across the bottom. License lamp has about 1/2 inch clearance to the valance.
http://www.stangfix.com/forum/gallery/0/1_01_12_08_3_55_36.jpg
1_01_12_08_3_55_36.jpg

I am running a Billet Specialties license plate frame that has a light built in. You may want to consider something like that if you want to leave the bumper where it is.

"Sluggo" said:
"70_Fastback" said:

Shot you a pic of the 70 clone in the garage. No shims on the bumper to body brackets, about 1 inch clearance all across the bottom. License lamp has about 1/2 inch clearance to the valance.
http://www.stangfix.com/forum/gallery/0/1_01_12_08_3_55_36.jpg
1_01_12_08_3_55_36.jpg

Thanks for the pic Sluggo. But there is NO way I can get 1/2" clearance between the light and the valance. Impossible unless I used like 3/4" chims or something crazy like that.

I'm thinking DarrelDs idea is pretty nice sounding.

Come on Rick, keep up with the trends. The kids are using LEDs under the cars now - not neon. That's so 1999-ish :jam

After further contemplation of the clearance issue, I realized that I had misspoken and eluded that it was hitting the valance when infact it's actually hitting on the taillight panel.

265543.jpg

It hits on the raised, flat area (parallel section with bumper bolt holes). And this is a repop panel as well.. So there could part of the conflict as well. Because like I said before, I have not really changed the "location" of the bumper, I just changed the mounting angle.

Car is looking good. Easy fix. Tie your cat to a 6 inch piece of string and attach to the valence. Sand cat's butt and add terpentine. Rear valence will be shaved in approximately 1 minute. Did I tell you the car is looking good?

Back