• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

rear package tray, speakers, etc.

Dne'

It's not finished by any means! Sometimes I just put stuff in my stang to resemble a finished product! The speakers are not connected to anything:pbj I had purchased the rear package tray(months ago) and today I installed the speakers( bought off of ebay for 88.oo front and rear set, free shipping) Almani they're called. The name means nothing to me! 500 watts. The front will go in the kick panels (5.25"). These speakers are very heavy and deep. I had to modify the metal part to get them to fit. you can't see it in the photo, but I also put a seat belt bezel for my rear 3 point seat belts coming up through the package tray :pep. Looks really nice! The seats are ok from that storm where they were partially submerged! OH, I bought some front seats from a '66 Mustang for 100. of course they will need upholstery. I am going to fix these seats up even if I never use them, learning stuff) I would like some color in my car than just BLACK! Can seat upholstery be made special, say to include the color of my car on the inner portion, and black on the outside? Would that look ok you think? I could then look for some rear seats and do the same, but keep a set of Black, and my custom set! I'm talking too much I know! :doh

IMG_8069.jpg

I think I would just have an upholsry shop sew in some orange piping on the seats, this way the color is very subtle, but thats just me.

NIce!!

OH Gosh! that would be perfect!! I guess I can print that photo out and see who can make custom seat covers like that. Thank you for thinking about me~ I'm honored! :bow DArn, I love that simple design! That would really tie blacknbland interior to the color of my stang!
dne'

Its really not even a custom seat cover, its a stock cover with the colored piping sewn in. It may be cheaper that way if you take an upholstery shop new covers and just ask them to change the piping. Or Contact TMI or someone that makes repop mustang seat covers and see if they can make custom covers for you.

Did you notice the treatment on the door panels as well.....

Or Contact TMI or someone that makes repop mustang seat covers and see if they can make custom covers for you.

I've done this. It wasn't overly expensive... I think it added about $100 to the price of the upholstery set. This was over 10 years ago though...

Yes, that really connects everything together! Do you think they just painted that chrome in the door panel? or actually had it installed. I think I'll contact TMI while on vacation, doesnt hurt to ask anyway~ I have plenty going on right now anyway.
dne' :pbj

"Fast68back" said:
Its really not even a custom seat cover, its a stock cover with the colored piping sewn in. It may be cheaper that way if you take an upholstery shop new covers and just ask them to change the piping. Or Contact TMI or someone that makes repop mustang seat covers and see if they can make custom covers for you.

Did you notice the treatment on the door panels as well.....

Be glad you hid the seat belt retractors in the trunk area...at first I had mine mounted on the top of package tray since that is where the directions that came with the belts indicated to put them but it looked gawd awful horrible. A while back I moved them into the trunk after welding in some reinforcement.

My next trick is going to be finding some very low profile speaker grills and moving my 6 x 9's to where they are mounted on the underside in the trunk. The ones I have currently look "too modern" and stick up too much for my taste. If I can't find some grills I like what I might do is find some sort of thin material to just cover the whole package tray in to hide the holes, vinyl maybe?

Car is looking great Dne' !!!

Dne', looks good, try TMI's website but you will have to go through a supplier, they don't sell to the public. Laurel Mtn. is one supplier and I have a card from a supplier I met at the 45th I can forward his number if you like (out of Fla. I think). He was very open to my special request, '89 seats stitched like '67's, etc. Haven't ordered them yet but good to know that they'll do custom like the customer wants it.
What did you bolt the rear 3pt. belts to?

Rusty Red, I'm mounting my 6X9 speakers from the trunk side, I bought a sheet of panel board from HD and cut my own package tray. I'm going to cover the tray with fine screen (like a window or screen door) pulling it taught/glueing so it doesn't sag where the speaker holes are. Then I'm going to cover it with material, thinnest I can find to allow as much sound through as possible. My interiors red and I want it to look flush so you won't know there are speakers in the car, I like the stealth 'less is more' look.
I haven't covered it yet so no pics but thought I'd post the idea.
Jon

Hi Jon! Thank you for the compliment! I hope the photo can help you identify where I placed the rear seat belts attachments. It was quite easy(compared to installing floor pans~ lol), No it really wasn't too bad. I welded in a plate on the inside of the fender well. If you should have any other questions or if I can be helpful anyway, let me knoW~~ :kaid
dne'
IMG_78822.jpg

"Jonk67" said:
Dne', looks good, try TMI's website but you will have to go through a supplier, they don't sell to the public. Laurel Mtn. is one supplier and I have a card from a supplier I met at the 45th I can forward his number if you like (out of Fla. I think). He was very open to my special request, '89 seats stitched like '67's, etc. Haven't ordered them yet but good to know that they'll do custom like the customer wants it.
What did you bolt the rear 3pt. belts to?

Rusty Red, I'm mounting my 6X9 speakers from the trunk side, I bought a sheet of panel board from HD and cut my own package tray. I'm going to cover the tray with fine screen (like a window or screen door) pulling it taught/glueing so it doesn't sag where the speaker holes are. Then I'm going to cover it with material, thinnest I can find to allow as much sound through as possible. My interiors red and I want it to look flush so you won't know there are speakers in the car, I like the stealth 'less is more' look.
I haven't covered it yet so no pics but thought I'd post the idea.
Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dne', now that you mention it I do have another question. I'm about to order 3pt. belts but don't know how much to leave out of the retractor. When you unclip your front belt where does the clip end up on the door jamb = low, mid or high on the door post? When it is unclipped and hanging next to the door (taught?) how much belt (in inches) is left out of the retractor?

I am looking at gotbelts.com and they have choices of 85", 100", 110", 120", 130", 140"
*Retractor stores approximately 80" of webbing leaving the remaining webbing out of the retractor.
http://www.gotbelts.com/rechlilelaps.html

So I'm trying to figure out what length would allow enough to buckle in, give slack and retract to the door post w/o hanging loose and getting slammed in the door jamb...
Thanks, Jon

Hi again!

Hi jon, thanks for PMing me, that helps to get my attention! Right now I have the front seat belts out of the car. I'm still quite a ways from totally installing them. I remember the trial several months ago, sitting in the drivers seat and making sure they were long enough, and they were just fine. The male portion which is on the retracting portion kind of hangs midway between the floorboard and roof, and like any seatbelt~ I would have to reach back for it. the male portion can be slid up or down on the seat belt depending on someone's stomach size. The female receptor on mine is in a hard case plastic and comes up just to the right hip, whereas earlier seat belts just kind of fall back on the floorboard or may be put in a slot in a console. I don't know if this helped or not, but the site you attached, those belts look great. I'm not sure of the length of these belts, I just went in the garage looking for the box they came in, but now I have to go somewhere, I'll look better when I get home. Sorry for not answering sooner.
dne'

"Jonk67" said:
Hey Dne', now that you mention it I do have another question. I'm about to order 3pt. belts but don't know how much to leave out of the retractor. When you unclip your front belt where does the clip end up on the door jamb = low, mid or high on the door post? When it is unclipped and hanging next to the door (taught?) how much belt (in inches) is left out of the retractor?

I am looking at gotbelts.com and they have choices of 85", 100", 110", 120", 130", 140"
*Retractor stores approximately 80" of webbing leaving the remaining webbing out of the retractor.
http://www.gotbelts.com/rechlilelaps.html

So I'm trying to figure out what length would allow enough to buckle in, give slack and retract to the door post w/o hanging loose and getting slammed in the door jamb...
Thanks, Jon

Back