• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear wheels

"Horseplay" said:

+1.
I wouldn't put anything larger than a 225 60 back there. Leave yourself some room. Also, 205 60 would be my choice on a 15X7 in the front. I have used these sizes on 65-66 cars with no problem.

Consult Nick's chart to verify but looks like everyone using 7" wheels have 3.75" BS.

As far as tire size you need to remember that the body rolls when corning and moves up and down with bumps. If you try to get too cute with oversize rubber you will get rubbing or worse, cutting of the tires. Stick to the sizes shown on his chart that are proven. Trust me, everyone tries to fit as large a tire as they can on their cars so where they ended up on the chart is a good indicator of what was proven to work.

You can, and should go a bit wider than a 195 in the rear.

When I had street tires, I ran 215/60-15's and they worked fine for me in the front with rolled fender lips. 15x7 TTD's with 3.75" BS

"Kats66Pny" said:
http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fitmen ... 2065-6.pdf

I see a 15x7 w/3.75 BS with 235/60 on a rear.

Hmmm or 15x8 with 4.5" BS with 235/60

:confu

and using this awesome little chart to compare front to rear sizes - http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Make sure to pay attention to the modifications done as well. i.e. rolled lips, etc.

I strongly suggest you play it safe and stick to a max of 225 in the rear. Every one of these old cars can be ever so slightly different in dimensions.

For your car....i would just put on a 215 60 15 on a 15x7 in the rear and match the front.

The 65 coupe next to my 65 fastback has 215 60 15 on the rear.....and I have 255 40 17 on the rear....

Very different looks for sure....but I like 15x7 with 215 for a very classic look.

sidebyside.jpg

Since I have such a large stall converter, I have a little issue with spinning tires when taking off from a stop :hide Besides changing to a more street friendly converter (not happening right now lol) would wider tires help it hook up easier and I'd have less spinning? :shrug

"dodgestang" said:
For your car....i would just put on a 215 60 15 on a 15x7 in the rear and match the front.

The 65 coupe next to my 65 fastback has 215 60 15 on the rear.....and I have 255 40 17 on the rear....

Very different looks for sure....but I like 15x7 with 215 for a very classic look.

sidebyside.jpg
Hey Nick,

Just for clarity sake, you've rolled your rears right? Also used the BFH on the inner wheelhouse, etc. correct? We don't want Kat thinking a 255 will just slip in there.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Since I have such a large stall converter, I have a little issue with spinning tires when taking off from a stop :hide Besides changing to a more street friendly converter (not happening right now lol) would wider tires help it hook up easier and I'd have less spinning? :shrug
Not really. There are cars running MUCH more power than you hooking on 215 and similar tires. It's about the suspension much more than the tire. The small difference between a 205 and a 215 or 225 isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Now the type of tire can help. Thick drag radial but be ready to replace often.

"Horseplay" said:
Hey Nick,

Just for clarity sake, you've rolled your rears right? Also used the BFH on the inner wheelhouse, etc. correct? We don't want Kat thinking a 255 will just slip in there.

On my 65 fastback to put the 255 40s on with an 8 inch rim I rolled the rear lips.
On my 65 fastback to put the 275 40s on with an 8 inch rim I rolled the rear lips and only drove straight
On my 65 fastback to put the 275 40s on with an 8 inch rim I rolled the rear lips, banged on the lower front of the inner wheel housing and put a watts link in so that I could also turn

So no banging on the wheel house for 255 40s

I still only ever used the 255s on the street and late last year when I needed new tires put a 245 40 on it in the back.

"Kats66Pny" said:

better tire needed. For example...a BFG Radial TA is just about the worst tire ever made for anyone who really does need traction. This is one of the reasons I moved up to 17s. The best traction I could get in a 15 when i had them was with Dunlop SP Sports. But they don't come in 215 60 15....I had them in 225 50 15....and they looked a little small on the car.

Also define large converter? I mean I run a 3500 stall in my 65 with the 410c in it.....paired with a 4.11 rear and a 2.85 first. Obviously I could smoke out any intersection I wanted but then one day some amazing happened. I realized the gas pedal wasn't the binary switch I always thought it was :sarc

Just feather it a little when you start. Its fun to smoke the tires by downshifting into 2nd at 60.

FYI I have no rear fender lips. They are not rolled, they are cut off. Gone. LOL Guess PO didn't have the tool or didn't want to take it to someone to roll them.

I have no exact details on the stall converter. Only what Doug and others who have tried driving it told me. One guy who has a 97 mustang with 650 rwhp said mine was bigger than his and his mustang is built mainly for track.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I asked friend and he said he has a custom built 9 3/4" around 32-3500 whatever that means! lol

Converters have advertised 'stall' but they are nothing more than guess.

Take your car to a completely empty parking lot with no poles, people, or other cars around. Point it in a straight direction, put it in gear, and push the pedal to the floor as fast as you can. Pay attention to your tach. It will jump up to an RPM PRIOR to the rear wheel starting to spin/move. This will give you a good idea of the 'flash stall' which is relatively close the RPM your converter is stall at (which is the RPM it provides power through to the wheels). Even with my 3500 stall....I flash in the low to mid 2k RPMs.

"dodgestang" said:
Converters have advertised 'stall' but they are nothing more than guess.

Take your car to a completely empty parking lot with no poles, people, or other cars around. Point it in a straight direction, put it in gear, and push the pedal to the floor as fast as you can. Pay attention to your tach. It will jump up to an RPM PRIOR to the rear wheel starting to spin/move. This will give you a good idea of the 'flash stall' which is relatively close the RPM your converter is stall at (which is the RPM it provides power through to the wheels). Even with my 3500 stall....I flash in the low to mid 2k RPMs.

I have no tach anymore.

Can I go 15x8 with 4.5" BS on rear? I see a few on the chart that have 15x8 with either a 4" or 4.5" BS so I guess it works. :confu

Back