• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Remove front bumper?

Kats66Pny

Ok is there some trick to removing the front bumper? Do you have remove the valance first?
I can't get to the bolts at all even using a deep socket wrench and I'm beginning to wonder if it's because the bumper itself is not straight?

IMG_4052.jpg

I atleast got the rear bumper off easy. Only thing is the bolts holding the bumper on the brackets are rusty as heck.
I've sprayed it down with some PB Blaster, but the brackets themselves look pretty worn out.

IMG_4051.jpg

I'm thinking I just might order some new ones, as well as new bumper bolts since a few of the current ones are a little rusty.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the bolts on my '66 are able to be reached with some creative work with a ratchet. Just experiment and see what will work. Yes, the poor shape it is in can hinder getting to the bolts.

+1, No need to remove the front valance. You just have to get creative with the tools. IIRC, I has to use a u-joint extension to get to the front bumper bolts. Patience.

Also, when re-installing the bumpers, especially the rear, do not over tighten the brackets to the bumper. It will cause dimples in the chrome. Ask me how I know.

Thanks guys. Looking some more, the front bolts are rusted the same if not more than the ones stuck in the brackets on the rear.

This is not going to be an easy task. :po

I just did this today on my 67. Back was vary easy but front was a bit more difficult. I did take one bumper guard off but was able to get the bumper off without removing the front valance. Play around with different sockets and a long extension helps.

Well, looks like you know what to ask hubby for for x-mas. You have to have a grinder if you want to fix up an old Mustang!

"Midlife" said:
Sure looks like it in your avatar!

somebody thought it'd be funny to use the one I saw on AzPete a few days ago.. I had to change it quick to something and booty shake was better! :lol Of course I'm not liking it as much. It looks funny all stretched out.

"Kats66Pny" said:
somebody thought it'd be funny to use the one I saw on AzPete a few days ago.. I had to change it quick to something and booty shake was better! :lol Of course I'm not liking it as much. It looks funny all stretched out.

Sounds like you either have avatar problems or something bad is in that Texas water..........

Damn Kat,
Did the PO use the front bumper to jack the car up with? That bend in the middle is nasty. Nevertheless, you should still be able to have access to the fender bolts without touching the valance.

Looks like I might have to take some drastic measures to remove the front bumper. Those bolts are NOT budging at all.. even with a BFH and nice selection of curse words. :po

Anyone recommend a decent grinder that's not too expensive?

I think I bought my angle grinder at Sears for not too much. I put the cutting wheel on it and it worked fine (buy more wheels then you think you'll need though) for cutting the sheet metal out of the front of my car. When I replaced the apron and core support, I cut the majority of it out to give me room to work then went back and drilled out the spot welds to take care of the remaining strip of metal that was left.

Its been a while, but I believe I had to put everything else back on the front of my car first and did the bumper last... You can get to the bolts but sometimes you have to hold your mouth just right (as my grandmother used to say...)

Back