• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Removing axle

Rick,Any interest in selling the old center section (even noisy)? My 4:11 is too low... I could swap the ring and pinion.

Craig #1, thats a great idea, but I'm to lazy to bleed the brakes again... Its really not all that hard, I installed the third member thats in there now. I used the floor jack for most of the work, just slid the chunk in basically.

Craig#2, Make me an offer I can refuse, otherwise it will end up sitting in the garage. I have a milk crate that the guy that built the new 9" shipped it in. Seemed to work well, but the shipping was fairly steep, like $55 with UPS ground....

Rick,
Sorry, I didn't not carefully read that you were using the same housing. So you are just chunk replacing? Yes use the floor jack to do all the work. I've done that by myself with little difficulty.

As far as replacing the inner seals, I believe there is a tool of some sort that will allow you to pry them out. Too bad someone doesn't have a expanding tool that fastens on the end of a sliding hammer. Kind of like a spring loaded honing tool but with reverse hooks.

Too bad someone doesn't have a expanding tool that fastens on the end of a sliding hammer.

Umm.... it's in the case when you rent the AZ loan-a-tool....

Rickster,

You have not pictured the outer gasket. It's a simple paper gasket that installs between the retaining plate and the end of the axle tube.

You should be able to trace and cut one out of gasket paper.

Technically, it shouldn't be required as fluid should not get past the inner seal. But if there's a burr/groove on one of your axle shafts where the inner seal contacts the axle shaft, fluid will get past the inner seal and likely cause a leak without an outer paper gasket.

I'm not sure where you got those pictures of axle bearings, but those shouldn't be a Ford design.... at least one I'm not familiar with anyway.... Ford axle bearings are of a sealed design and you shouldn't be able to actually see any bearings. The bearings outer race is machined into the axle tube and is not a removeable/seperate item.

I have been told that with today's sealed bearings, the outer paper gasket isn't actually required. So I've been told.....

So I've been told.....

Yeah, that's what they told me too. But my inner seals weren't sealing as good as they should and the outer paper gasket (among other things) seemed to clear up a minor annoying dribble.

I use a tranny jack to R&R the chunk. Much easier than trying to balance it on a floor jack or trying to bench press it.

For the record, I didn't use paper gaskets on either of my cars, and I have 66,000 miles on the one and 28,000 on the other with no leaks. I always heard they were more for the prevention of squeaks than for the prevention of leaks. Not sure how true that is, but it makes a bit of sense.

Thanks for all the tips guys. The old unit is out and the new one is in. I got one axle back in, I'll do the other tomorrow. I took Dave's advice and bought a sheet of gasket material and made a gasket/seal. Tomorrow I'll get the other axle in put in the driveshaft, torque down the chunk and fill with fluid. I took Sluggo's advice as well and poured the friction modifier in the bottom of the housing before I put the center section in.

Got the new rear in and everything buttoned up tonight. Drove the car a couple miles and sounds like the rear fixed the noise I was hearing. :pbj :pbj :pbj :pbj :pbj

WTG Rickker :toot :toot :toot Didja leave some nice patches?

He was probaby waiting for you to leave some rubber too. Probably gave up waiting and called you a wuss. :wtf

I drove the car around the block, there is a 7-11 up on one of the corners and the car was sitting in the parking lot. I turned the corner and went a couple hundred yards and then got on it a little, nothing major, never topped 50 mph probably. My street is a little over a quarter mile maybe. I always just let the car idle down the street, especially at night since its kinda load. Well, when I started to pull into my drive way I looked in the mirror and saw he was behind me. I parked in the driveway as I wanted to clean the garage up before I put the car back in. He pulled up in front of the house and and walked up the driveway. He said the car was kinda loud, but really just wanted to look at it. I told him I had just swapped the rearend and was just driving it to check it out. He checked it over and then left.

I wouldnt doubt if someone had called him. The elementary school is a couple blocks away, I was driving it in circles in the parking lot to get the friction modifier into the clutches, not getting on it or anything. I could image people would think it was a wuss car with some dude driving around in circles and not leaving any rubber....

"Fast68back" said:
Craig#2, Make me an offer I can refuse, otherwise it will end up sitting in the garage. I have a milk crate that the guy that built the new 9" shipped it in. Seemed to work well, but the shipping was fairly steep, like $55 with UPS ground....

okay, you said make an offer you "can" refuse.... how about $50 plus shipping?????????

Back