• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

removing trunk weatherstripping

blue65coupe

What did ya'll use to get the leftover weatherstripping/old adhesive off with without damaging paint on underside of decklid? Any recommendations on adhesive for new weatherstripping?

I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive (yellow snot) to glue it on, but I can't remember what I used to take it off. I just did this on my '63 a few months ago too. Wow, getting old sucks. Maybe lacquer thinner...I just can't remember.

I used 3m adhesive remover that comes in an aerosol can. It is a red and white can. Spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes and the residue wipes right off.

I'm sorry................WITHOUT DAMAGING PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And CRAP, I just forgot to pick some stuff up. Geez.

Just sit down and talk to it with that acrid attitude of yours and within a few minutes it will dry up and fall right off! :hide2

I was going to suggest just look at it. With that fugly looking mug of yours ANYTHING including old WS will shrivel away in no time. Meanwhile how about mineral spirits?

Haven't thought of that Ron. Good idea. BTW, how'd Jeremy's car do on the maiden voyage. Hope ya'll are having a good time.
Craig, I'll make sure to stare at you at MBII.

Why don't you boys take it to SlugFest? Oh yeah, it says "no crying".

Back