• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replace or just patch it?

Kats66Pny

I do have a brand new apron for this that I can either use and replace the entire piece or cut it up and make a patch. The damaged area (eaten by battery acid, not rust) isn't all that big, and the surrounding metal is fine.

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

I do not plan on putting the battery in the front. Leaving it as-is in the trunk. So this area will be, well.. a useless area of space. With that in mind, if I do just a patch job, do you think it would have to be welded or could something like JB Weld or Fusor or some 3M stuff would work?

On that area, patching vs replacing the whole section would depend on how difficult the cut patch would be to fit and make look good. Butt welding would be better....not overlapped for a section. All the bends and curves must fit also.

Kat IMHO if you've already got the panel, replace the whole thing. It's just a bunch of spot welds (which you should be good at drilling out by now!).

In my opinion replace the whole panel, this is coming from someone that just tried to patch it and realized it was well worth it to just replace it not too long ago.

Took me about thirty minutes to drill out all the spot welds with a fresh spot weld cutter from HF.

Mine looked exactly like that. I replaced the whole thing. My metalworking skills suck, so there was no way I was making a patch.

Yes, replace the entire panel. Drilling out spot welds is pretty easy when you have a good spot weld drill. Then spot welding in the new one is totally fun.

"Kats66Pny" said:
:rant spot welds!

Aww c'mon Kat. You're should qualify as a pro at drilling'm out by now!! If the cowl didn't drive you crazy, these are a walk in the park!! :thu

My apron in the 67 looked just like that. I replaced the entire panel. It looks better IMHO.

So since you have done as much work as you have done, don't cut corners now.

You have an awesome care with an awesome start, keep doing things right!

Mel

Alrighty, the concensus is replace the whole thing. :thu

Guess today's project will be trying removing the old apron. Joy. :sarc

Spot welded to the core support too. You can see in my picture after I removed the apron.

Attachments

• 107_0791.JPG
    699.4 KB · Views: 99
If I were in your shoes and had my skills at welding and patching, I'd patch it. My philosophy is to keep as much OEM sheet metal as possible; it is much better material than what you find today. But given what you know and can do, I'd replace it---it's quicker.

What about battery apron to the rear apron on top and then the battery apron to radiator support on the front?

You could always buy some copper rods, cut to desired length bend the ends of them with a little heat, and, viola.

"Midlife" said:
If I were in your shoes and had my skills at welding and patching

wow!!! modest much? arent you the one that sent their car out for work twice? If you had such mad skills how come you didnt just do it?

Back