• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replacing 65-70 Fuel tank video

I pulled the tank on my 69 vert (20 gal tank) after siphoning it out with complete success. Of course, after I inspected the tank and re-installed it in my Mustang the stupid fuel gauge refused to work. By grounding the gauge to the frame I was able to isolate it as a failed sending unit. I picked up a new sender and pickup screen. Soooo.....I siphoned the fuel out of the tank again (I have a tank with a drain plug, but I was afraid that the plug would start to leak if I disturbed it) and popped the flange around the sending unit/pickup. :hs I was deluged with gasoline that I hadn't manage to siphon this time. I'm doing this at the shop that I ran my business out of and now I am lying on the garage floor in a huge puddle of gasoline with my sweatshirt completely soaked in gas. I look above my head toward the front of the car and my trouble light (maybe that's why they call it that) is also lying in the same gas puddle and there are visible fumes coming off the damn thing. I am scrambling to get out from under the Mustang before it, me and the whole shop goes up in a ball of flames. Fortunately, I make it to my feet and yank the light out from under the car. There is gas everywhere and I'm sopping it up with kitty litter, but the stench is amazing. Oh yeah, there is also a gas fired water heater with a pilot light in the upper loft above the shop area. I wind up opening the front and rear doors of the shop to try to get the fumes cleared out. As I do this I see the landlord on the property doing a general inspection. What luck! Part of my lease states that I can't do automotive work on the premises because of the risk of combustibles involved. Boy, oh boy was he pissed. :rulz Anyway, me, the Mustang and the building all survived, as did my tenancy there, but did I ever feel dumb. I would have used the drain plug both times if I were to do the same job again. Better to risk a small leak than a large mushroom cloud.

Bruno with an career goal like that you could work for the State of California Highway system...CALTRANS.

Back