• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replacing Frame Rail Help????

JRANGER

Ok, so I need to replace about 10" of the frame rail under the battery. I only have a 90 watt flux core welder but i think it will work. I bought a frame rail from CJPONYPARTS (Mustang Frame Rail Rt Half Front 29" Inner & Outer 1964-1970 | CJ Pony Parts) a while back. Just wasnt in a rush to install it until today. I was installing my new front valance and the one bolt holding the bumper brackets in pulled out...Sum BIA lol

So here are my questions.

When welding in the frame rail should I do straight or angle cuts to piece it in. Mean do I cut the frame rail straight down and butt weld or do i say make a 45 degree angle? Does it matter?

My plan is to build a 2x4 setup under the current frame rail to get it level etc. Ill put a jack underneath the radiator to hold that up. Remove the bolts, and then cut out the outer section of the frame rail to make sure i get it aligned. Ill then just weld the back in. Now this piece is essential just a side section. The inner section is the U shaped section. So then i would cut the inside section out and weld the back of it in with it clamped to the side section and have the 2x4 under it while doing so. Then weld them both together.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad Idea? Welder wont cut it? And to be honest i wont be doing this tomorrow as its going to snow like madness. So I have some time before i pull the fender and start on this. Just need it to warm up a bit

Thanks for all the help

I've got a 90 amp/120 volt mig and it won't make enough heat for good penetration on the frame. Also the guys say that flux core is not a good clean weld. I borrowed a 180 amp 250 volt mig to weld my 65's frame. I have to wire up an outlet in the garage so I haven't tried it yet. Bought all the stuff yesterday but it's so freakin' cold in the garage, I think I procrastinate a bit longer...

Really? Thats kinda weird...It says up to 3/16th thick and the rail i bought is 1/16th. Well the replacement but then again i dunno. Thanks for the info...I have a carport so im pretty sure tomorrow will be too cold for me too!! lol

could just be my welder, but I have tried it and it does great on the body but wouldn't make a good weld on the frame.

i got a harbor freight special but ive never used it on high as it just burns away all the floor pan metal when i tried it. So i dunno, thats just what it said on the site lol

"JRANGER" said:
i got a harbor freight special but ive never used it on high as it just burns away all the floor pan metal when i tried it. So i dunno, thats just what it said on the site lol

That HF unit is terrible. I had one, but I suppose it can work.

I burnt my in with a 135 Mig with gas. It was all it could do and I question the strength in all honesty. I've got a buddy with a 220 unit and we plan to go over it and do some other seaming for strength.

my welder is from Eastwood. I did the whole car with it (except the frame). I also used gas with my mig.

haha yeah i have done all of my floor with the HF welder. It works well it is just nasty looking welds that i have to clean with a grinder. Well ill will wait and may give it a try. My spot weld it up and have someone else welded the rest of the way.

Would a tig work? I know i can get my hands on one of those

Ok, i think thats what my brother has. Ill have to double check. Hopefully its just a small one i can use and transport.

Here is what im dealing with below the batt...That bolt you see...Yeah that pulled out while installing my valence. BLAH

Attachments

• 20130319_220058.jpg
    20130319_220058.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 80
yeah that's a mess! My 65 was like that too. I cut the whole thing off

Attachments

• right frame inside.JPG
    right frame inside.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
Here's some pics from when I was doing mine. I screwed the pooch and cut too much of the car away and it was a pain getting in back right. Actually, I just hope it's right :whis

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

Bill

I have used my Lincoln SP-100 converted to MIG for welding frame rails with no issues. Make sure you bevel the edges of each piece to ensure you have full penetration as well as more surface area making the repair stronger. It is also a good idea to reinforce the repair with a gusset inside the frame rail.:

DSC03251.JPG

impressive. I cannot get enough heat from mine. The welds look okay but are just sitting on top. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing!

lol, dont worry...im not sure i trust myself....I learned by well welding floor panels and such

Are you keeping a gap between the 2 & beveling the edge of both pieces? If not I would do both on some scrap & cut apart to observer penetration.

Back