• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replacing Rear end

DON'T START THE CAR! (unless you want to lose an arm or something)

You just want to stop any free spin in the drivetrain so you can "muscle" the splines in to alignment. It shouldn't take much of a tap to get it to seat.

Just like Horseplay said, absolutely do not start the car!!

The basic idea is you want to hold the passenger side axle from spinning while trying to turn the driver side axle. My car is a manual tranny so I hooked up the drive shaft to the third member and put the car in first gear to keep the passenger side axle from rotating. Your automatic should do the same while in park (I presume). I wedged my prybar between two of the wheel studs and pushed down, clockwise with my right arm while tapping on the axle with a 2 lb. hammer with my left arm. It probably doesn't really matter which way you push the prybar. I was surprised how little pressure on the prybar it really took for the axle to slip in.

Hope that helps.

M66, your advice worked perfectly. Thanks a ton.

I took it for a quick drive. Feels like night and day difference from my 2.80 open. There is a little vibration at certain speeds. No real noise, but like a quick vibration at a certain point of accel and deceleration. This common? What's the first thing I should check?

Anyway, thanks a ton for all the help, guys.

Back