1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Resurrect Captain America

Discussion in 'Member's Build Threads' started by guruatbol, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

Go electric steering?
    Also, someone in the build threads put modern lever type ebrake in his Mustang. Steal his design.

2. guruatbol

guruatbol Always on vacation!

I thought about both.

I like the fact I have some if what I need for the PS. One less part in my garage.

As for the Ebrake I already ordered the billet handle. Amber doesn't like the center mounted one.

I'm looking at a MTF center console that I can put a modern 2 din touch screen stereo in and then do a radio delete with two gauges in. We need a voltmeter and then to figure out what else. We have a clock now but that would be irrelevant with a modern stereo.

We have to go to SD to get our seats. I bought them and roller perches from Angelo.

Slowly but surely this car will be redone!

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

3. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

The issue with the e-brake handle breaking isn't so much the handle as it is the bad leverage the poor design affords. The amount of force needed to engage it adequately puts a huge strain on the assembly. Just look at the number of bends the cable has to make and the angle degrees involved. Center mounted designs pull in a simple linear path.

4. guruatbol

Yes definitely over engineered.

I am going to keep the under dash handle for now. It will look better.

The center lever is a better design but will be in the way.

5. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

You are basically pulling a cable with the stock setup. My 65 Corvair had an under dash mounted lever. It worked great.

6. guruatbol

Ok, I should have got my lazy butt up early and gone to town to get the alignment finished now that the rest is done but nope. Not today!

I did however replace the Ebrake handle.

Mel[​IMG]

7. guruatbol

I am really close. Just paint and a few odds and ends.

[​IMG]

Grabber70Mach likes this.
  8. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

Obviously, but the issue is how it is routed with all the bends and the wonky design of the lever under the car etc. all add up to a poor performing system that ends up having the driver pulling too hard on the handle to try and actuate leading to breakage. It's fairly common and known as a poor design. The center handle eliminates ALL the bad stuff and pulls directly inline with the rear brake cables. Better leverage means easier actuation and performance. That's all I was trying to get across.

9. guruatbol

It seems with a bit of lubrication on the mechanism this new billet handle is not the weak link anymore.

Mel