• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Riddle me this

blue65coupe

So I'm disconnecting all the stereo stuff from the trunk last night to remove the gas tank. Disconnected P and N battery cables. This means no juice going anywhere. As I'm disconnecting cables, I'm also wrapping the ends with electrical tape JIC. I put the screwdriver to the pwr terminal on the amp and get some small sparkage. I'm glad the tank was empty and I had blocked all lines or it could've been :expl for me.

There are some large power capacitors in stereo amps, and they need to be discharged prior to working on them. You did just that. The preferred method is to lay a tongue on the leads... :expl

Duane, please step away from the car until you take some automotive classes :boo

"silverblueBP" said:
Duane, please step away from the car until you take some automotive classes :boo

That's how you take a "jab" at someone Jeremy.

Obviously I need to update my 1980s stereo equipment owner's manual also. If you even thought I knew something about cars, I know less about stereo stuff. However Mark, WTH kind of automotive classes are you taking that teach you about car stereo amplifiers? JDM in a coffee can 101?

"Midlife" said:
There are some large power capacitors in stereo amps, and they need to be discharged prior to working on them. You did just that. The preferred method is to lay a tongue on the leads... :expl

Did that to test the battery in my flashlight while inspecting the inside of the tank. Don't need a haircut this week.

"blue65coupe" said:
That's how you take a "jab" at someone Jeremy.

:bow

It only happens once a decade, hope you got a laugh :nice

"Midlife" said:

Had a kid in high scrool that would test batteries just like that for anyone...anytime. He uhhh, wasn't quite firing on all 8 :crazy

When I was in grad school, the technician just before I arrived was like that as well. However, his body had an intrinsically high resistance, much higher than the norm. He'd easily touch hot leads inside a TV to see if things were working correctly, all without a problem. He also could keep his fingers inside 120 V sockets without a problem, saying only that he felt a slight tingling sensation. The stories about his trouble-shooting skills were amazing!

Back