• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Roller Perches..good or bad.

AzPete

This is on a '66 Mustang Coupe, 302, auto, non power car. This car is driven a fair amount, 6000 miles from mid Oct to mid Aug. We installed Opentrackers street version of the upper and lower control arms with a set of stock perches. The rest of the steering is tight also. The car drove good with no noticeable problems. All was good.....until I was offered a set of the roller perches put out by Opentracker. The price was real "right" so I went ahead and installed them.

My thoughts prior to installing them was so-so. I really felt for a street driven car, what is the big deal, especially for the asking price. Stock cost me $30 local, these list on the Opentracker Racing web site for $199. Big difference for what the average person drives the car. I had heard all the comments about how good it would be but still........

Install was pretty good. Lifted the car, removed the odds and ends (wheels, shocks, upper shock mounts) in the way, compressed the spring from the top so it would not have to be removed, and went at it. The new/old style came out ok, but the new roller perches went in much easier. The reason is the mounting bolts are removable. You can slide the perch in place, drop in the bolts, and tighten without any issues. Nice change there for sure. Set the spring back down and went to the other side. The entire job was a lot less time than we had expected.

Now, I drove it for a week with a bump steer problem caused by other things as you can read in another thread here. Went back to the garage I use/steal for a day here and there and fixed the bump steer and did a great alignment on the car.

So, how does it compare you ask........it is a better ride for sure. The first difference I really noticed was the speed bumps in parking lots. No noise, no moan and groan as with the factory style. It felt like the car did not travel as far up and was just plain smooth. So, I gotta test these more on the street.

The local streets have some interesting surfaces as other locals can attest to. I went across an intersection that normally sent the car into kind of a gentle twist/wiggle as it peaked the high part plus the crossing of the opposing traffic tracks. This is a 45 - 50 mph traffic area and I always cringed as I crossed it. There was a difference. The car did not do the normal twisting and wiggle and it tracked real straight. Hmmmm. Check that on the return trip. Yep, same thing, now I did not have to slow down and grit my teeth as I went thru there. Just run with traffic....nice.

Next thing was some of the rougher railroad tracks. Again, the car was just plane solid on the road. Didn't feel the tracks in near the same way.

How about some corners......oh yea. I ran through a 45 mph turn that most around here take at 30-35. It is a good sweeping left with a slight slope to the outside, maybe 120 degrees of turn. Not sharp, but with two lanes of travel in one direction, you need to stay in the lane of choice. This was never a problem before but it was smoother now and the car felt as if the tires were planted on the ground better. I refuse to admit to the speeds I might have tried that corner and a few others at. lol

On hard accelerations, the front of the car will rise real smooth and I notice it comes up at more of an angle than it did before. Even with the increased rise, the car steers straight and rides smooth. As the front end drops, again, it is nice and smooth compared to the stock perches. I also have had the monte carlo bar and the export brace in the car for some time.

I have tried numerous other road conditions and found all factors to be improved with these installed.

Soooo, overall, I think they are a sweet improvement over the stock perches. Overall handling is improved and I do feel it makes the drive a bit safer. For sure I won't be parting with them..... My wife even noticed a difference in the overall ride quality.

Worth the money.......not really sure there, for me. John makes a quality product, it does improve the ride and handling, but I think if priced around $100 I personally would buy them for sure. With that being said, I am retired on a limited income so spending on the extras has to be considered carefully as $30 can make a difference at times. (I know, what am I doing with an old Mustang then, lol). I will say that I have built custom motorcycle products for over 10 years in the past so I do realize the costs involved in what John is doing so I am not knocking his price structure, just looking at my pocketbook at this point of my life....... That said, I would probably budget to buy them if I was doing another car as they do make a nice difference.

For the gal/guy that has a trailer/garage queen, it would not be worth it in my opinion. Yea, you would notice the bump into and out of the trailer a bit less. For the guy/gal on the track, a must for sure along with other products from John. Your tires will stick to the track better. If you drive your car every day as in to work and such and count on it, I would say go for it also. You will enjoy the driving a bunch more plus have a safer ride.

Bottom line, in my opinion, quality product; does what it is advertised to do, plus; priced a bit high; and John will bend over backwards to make things right with anyone, customer or not. Just look up his name on other web sites.

I must thank John for his assistance thru the other problems I encountered and for a great product. I must also thank Randy, aka Midlife, for the assistance and use of his garage and tools, oh, and for not using those roller perches. I like being a full time RVer with a garage close by, lol.

Your experiences may vary so remember, this is one mans opinion.

So when do I get a good long ride testing these things at unofficial speeds?

Me Three :pep

That is one hell of a write up and I agree, the price is high for such a simple part. In defence, I know of two places that sell the bronze perches for over $300pr. Ouch !

I am glad you came up with the same results I did on my first test drive with them. I was shocked at how well they work and how much safer the car felt to drive, along with the added grip.

FYI - Our "forum member discount" is $175 shipped anywhere in the 50 states.

"Opentracker" said:
That is one hell of a write up and I agree, the price is high for such a simple part. In defence, I know of two places that sell the bronze perches for over $300pr. Ouch !

FYI - Our "forum member discount" is $175 shipped anywhere in the 50 states.

Now John, just because your neighbor does something, does not mean you have to follow suit.......lol

$175 is a great price. I love mine (although they're made by Day @ DazeCars) and think they're well worth it for anyone who drives their car regularly.

I guess I'm just confused, there are a large handful of us that have run the roller perches for years and talk highly of them. Yet, there are still those that are skeptical.....until they finally break down and install a set.

Just believe what we say and install the damn things, probably the best bolt on suspension upgrade bang for the buck!

BTW, great write up Pete :toot

Well, if I just blindly followed the crowd,......nope, just couldn't live that way. :rofl

Thanks. Always nice to do a good review on a good product.

well I'm not retired but I do live paycheck to paycheck and it's hard to come up with funds for "improvements" when I have so many things we "need". (well need might be extreme). I just had to by a Trumpet for my son to join band, used for $600! Ouch.
I will eventually do it, I may even tackle the build-it-yourself method. I have my original perches still. Mustang always takes the back burner, that's why I've been working on it for 20 years now!

"tarafied1" said:
I just had to by a Trumpet for my son to join band, used for $600! Ouch.

That just won you a free set of roller perches. Our kids do come first and Band is a great place for them to learn about team work. Your a good Dad. Send me an email with your address and I'll ship them off to you. No kidding.

opentracker@sbcglobal.net

"Opentracker" said:
That just won you a free set of roller perches. Our kids do come first and Band is a great place for them to learn about team work. Your a good Dad. Send me an email with your address and I'll ship them off to you. No kidding.

More proof...."and John will bend over backwards to make things right with anyone, customer or not. Just look up his name on other web sites.

"Opentracker" said:

John, you have to be one of the best guys in the Mustang business (or any business for that matter). :wor

I definitely promote your name every where I go. I wish more American companies remembered how to give good customer service! These days, even customer service jobs seem to be sent overseas.

Thanks guys but I am still a gearhead and a Dad. I don't have to make money on all of this stuff. I put most of it into R&D anyway. I'm sure that pisses-off some of the other vedors but so what. I love my kids and they deserve an even chance at life. Six hunderd freeking dollars for a used Trumpet, damn, if that isn't love what is?

tarafield 1 has my respect - good on you man :toot

John,
wow, what can I say... I'm truely touched by your offer. I have only breifly begun to get to know just a little about you and I am impressed with your big heart. I've tried to always put my family first and they know that. They give up things now and again for me too. You have made an offer to give up something for a stranger... I'm speachless.

John, you are one awesome guy.

Tarafied, what kind of trumpet? I ask because I used to play and I can't recall how much my mom payed for my silver Yamaha. I thought it was around that much brand new, but I can't recall atm.

Be happy you don't have to buy a good clarinet or violin though. My brother played both. IIRC, his clarinet was $900, used. I think the violin was more.

Back