• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Routing PCV valve line with Summit carb

How have those of you with the Summit carbs routed the vacuum line from your PCV valve, to the carb spacer or to the PCV vacuum port (3/8") of the front of the carb? The top of the PCV valve I have is about 1/2" diameter, so I'll have to rig some sort of reducer to hook it to the carb.

Thanks for the help!

There is a plugged hole on the driver-rear corner that I used, it has a screwdriver slotted plug. Remove the plug and there should be a fitting included in the kit you can put in its place. Then, use a cap to plug off the other PCV hole on the passenger-front. The rear port is a cleaner installation.

You can see mine here:

202-120411135951.jpeg

202-120411135910.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is much better than running the line under the fuel rail to the front PCV port. Is that a brass reducing nipple in the middle of your PCV line?

In the middle is a section of brass pipe simply used as a half-assed connection as the hose was not long enough to reach the PCV port by itself, it's used to splice the two hoses together. The hose is 3/8, IIRC, and the end of the PCV is 3/8 so I did not need a reducer, although there are some if needed, check your local Lowe's or Home Depot. I think my fitment issue was on the other end where it was to fit the valve cover. There is a "Help" section at my local Kragen that has misc items too.

FYI, I just helped a friend install his Summit carb and that block-off screw on the driver-rear was a PITA to remove, it was in installed very tight, we needed some PB Blaster and a BF screwdriver for leverage to remove. Leverage was difficult as we did it off the car. If you're by yourself, maybe if you temporarily install the carb backwards and attach it to the intake, it'll help with the leverage as you're not fighting the screw with one hand while trying to hold the carb with the other. We used some sealer on the port threads too.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to tackle this job (as well as installing the new throttle return springs and transmission kickdown linkage) on Saturday. With my typical lack of planning ahead, I installed the the carb before figuring out how to get all the plumbing routed.

"Neglected68" said:
The top of the PCV valve I have is about 1/2" diameter, so I'll have to rig some sort of reducer to hook it to the carb.

Thanks for the help!

You can get a PCV valve that has the same 3/8 hose fitting for $2 or $3... probably not worth adapting two different size hoses. If the valve cover grommet is 3/4" then I think you can use a PCV from a mid 70s chevy 350 engine.

Stangg, I didn't see your post before going to NAPA this morning. A different PCV valve is a more elegant solution. I did find a plastic hose connector that was 3/8" on one side and 1/2" on the other, so I used that. I was able to get the plug for the rear vacuum line out with no trouble. In the pics below I have it installed. You can also see my new throttle return springs installed. The chrome bracket is mounted at an angle so it won't interefere with the throttle linkage. I may elimnate the bracket since it looks odd.

Attachments

• IMAG0185.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0184.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 65
"Neglected68" said:
I did find a plastic hose connector that was 3/8" on one side and 1/2" on the other, so I used that. I was able to get the plug for the rear vacuum line

Good to know as I have a 390 PCV that I would want to keep.

"fordrule" said:
are they similiar to the holley 4150/4160

No. But they do use some Holley parts. They are more like a Autolite 4100 in appearance. Holley made the carb for a while and apparently Summit bought the rights to it and reworked it.

i just picked up a holley 750 off of fleabay and i believe its a 4150 or 4160. and I was just seeing for reference...add to my bookmarks lol

Very happy with my Summit carb. Out of the box, it was close enough to leave alone (stock engine), and the throttle response & idle are great. Not that I've tested the throttle response lately, it still on jackstands for the floorboard redo. :shrug

Back