• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

rusted up chrome tools, any solutions that work?

stang32

I just found a tolbox that i put away last fall with tools from a road job, the toolbox got water in it & the tools sat in a pool of water off & on for several months now they are all rusty. :cry I have screwdrivers, 3/8 ratchet, extensions, etc. other than a couple pair of pliers nothing is preventing me from using the toosl again, thy just look like crap, the pliers are rusted shut but i am working on those.
:weas any thoughts, besides to get rid of this toolbox, already in the dumbster.

RyanG85

Are they craftsman or any other warrantied brand? If they are, trade them in. Craftsman is usually no questions asked.

SELLERSRODSHOP

mix a solution of muriatic acid & water about 50/50 & soak them in that for a while. might want to spray them down with some lps #3 after you dry them. thats what i use to remove the same kind of rust inside old motorcycle tanks.

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
"RyanG85" said:
Are they craftsman or any other warrantied brand? If they are, trade them in. Craftsman is usually no questions asked.

And that is the reason that I like Craftsman tools. fd

daveSanborn

I just found a tolbox that i put away last fall with tools from a road job, the toolbox got water in it & the tools sat in a pool of water off & on for several months now they are all rusty.

Sad, sad, sad news. Leaving tools to rust in the elements is worse than walking up to the bar and clumsily spilling a strangers full beer.

I don't know what to do as I've never been in this particular situation.... throw them away and buy new ones?

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
"daveSanborn" said:
Sad, sad, sad news. Leaving tools to rust in the elements is worse than walking up to the bar and clumsily spilling a strangers full beer.

I don't know what to do as I've never been in this particular situation.... throw them away and buy new ones?

You've never spilled a stranger's full beer? Where's the BSmeter????

daveSanborn

"Midlife" said:
You've never spilled a stranger's full beer? Where's the BSmeter????

Not that I recall..... but after 10-12 beers I usually don't recall much of anything... thus the whole point of drinking that much to begin with.