• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Sat one of my seats in for a first look...

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
... I like it. But I'm going to have to mod my passenger seat pan like I did my drivers seat pan (past thing i did with different seats at that time.) I channeled the driver one out and built in troughs, out of angle iron, to recess the mounting brackets down in to.

Also, I'm going to be using the 4-point seatbelts - you can see them in the picture. These belts do not require a roll/cross bar behind the seats to attach to; they are simply extra long should belts that tie down into the same floor mounting points. Anyone have experience with these...?

Anyone have experience with these...?

That's a nice looking seat. Who makes it?

Only because I'm unfamilar with the manufacturer.... I'd be a little concerned about the 4pt belt system going into the rear of the seat and then anchored to the floor. A shoulder belt is supposed to stop you from leaning forward without compressing your spine. Race car belt laws are very specific in that the shoulder belt anchors cannot be lower than the drivers shoulders. If these seats are approved by a sanctioning body then they're probably okay.

Hmmm.... I couldn't find anything on their website regarding the seats authorized use by any sanctioning body. This leads me to believe that they're not approved, but more of a sport seat upgrade for a ricer car.

The plus side..... The seats look GREAT! If you ever get into an accident that is so bad that you suffer a spinal compression due to the lower than shoulder height anchors..... screw it.... you can collect disability and watch TV all day anxiously awaiting the next time the cutie traveling nurse comes by for your sponge bath.

How do you like those side bolsters? My son has a pair of the SCAT ProCar Rally seats in his '68FB and I hate getting in and out of his seats due to the side bolsters. I equate them to getting in and out of a child safety seat. Once I'm in though, they're comfortable as all get out!

Ditto that, I could not find anything either. I will confess I bought them for the look & comfort. they feel incredible to sit in.

PLUS I got a SMOKING deal on them off of Craigslist. I guy bought them to put in his car, totalled the car and never got a chance to install them. Came with seats, brackets, and all restraints and hardware.

Like I said, they are comfortable & I like the hugging feeling of the side supports.

I'm contemplating a similar set of 4 points that actually clip into the back seat seatbelts, sold by Schroth Racing. True, they don't comply like Dave was saying, but I think the sholder slots in the seat work in your favor as they, in effect, keep the back straps horizontal.

To help put your "smoking deal" in perspective....

The leather CS signature series ProCar Rally seats in my sons car cost over $1400. The Simpson 5pt Camlock restraints were just under $500.

$hit adds up quick on these cars and I'm all about getting a good deal whenever possible!

The seats look great J!

My only concern about a 4 pt or better is without a roll bar, they would keep you upright in a crash....a rollover that crushed the roof would transfer that right through your spine. Granted, if you are in an accident where you roll over, there will probably be LOTS of problems :'(

I agree with Dave on the spine compression concern. Since your car originally came with shoulder belts, it should have the upper mounts still attached. How about fabricating up a cross bar that attaches to the factory mounting points in the ceiling and mount it up near the headliner. From there your 4 points could then take advantage of the solid mounting up high and avoid the spine compression problem

By the way, your car is really coming along nicely. If you can get it together by mid April, bring it out to Knott's so us left coasters can drool on it!!

in order to keep the shoulder belts horizontal, has anybody ever considered building some kind of attachment point along the base of the rear window?
like a rollbars horizontal bar that normally goes directly behind the front seats.
perhaps this would be actually in the trunk, with rings or something coming through into the interior?
this would mean the shoulder belts would need to be longer, or have an extension to reach back that far.
and is there some max length under the rules because of the probable extra belt stretch?
since mine is only an occasional track car, i don't want to put a rollbar in it if I don't have to.

building some kind of attachment point along the base of the rear window

I suppose something could be rigged up, but it would have to be well anchored.

I believe an easier solution would be to rig something up in the trunk and extend the shoulder belts across the empty back seat just while at the track. Again, the anchor points would have to be fashioned such that they'd hold if they had to. A long "Y" belt with a single anchor point would probably work best.

Did you know....

Simpson will alter the length of a newly purchased belt free of charge (you just pay for shipping). My thoughts are that this is a GREAT customer service feature that they offer.... need it 6" shorter? Mail it off to them. Need it 24" longer? Mail it off to them. Of course their belts aren't cheap to begin with, but it's still mighty nice of them.

Back